Domestic Battery Bank How Big?

Sneds

Visit site
Having just replaced the starter battery, a beast with 1000 cold cranking amps, I now need to change the three domestic batteries
Currently 3 X 140AH = 420
Would 3 X 110 AH 330 be enough?
I have two fridges drawing 4 amps each and all the lights are led
I have tried, and failed, to find out was was fitted when the boat was new? Sealine F36 1999
Anyone know?
I will probably go for the 3 X 140AH for peace of mind but they are much more expensive

We don't spend much time off grid, the odd night up river towards Worcester after a night at a Gloucester or a night at Mermaid Quay in Cardiff but we normally plug in

rafiki_

Visit site
Iain,

Do you have a gennie? Raf has 2x140 ah, but we have the gennie when needed. Where you cruise you aren’t likely to be off the grid in a nice peaceful anchorage, given the tidal flow?

Momac

Visit site
In all I have 11 years experience of boating with frequent stays away from shore power.

My F33 has two 110Ah batteries . I have often stayed 48 hrs with no shore power with no problems (one fridge). Still able to start the starboard engine from the domestic bank. Your domestic bank starts the port engine I believe ? I do have a separate battery for the bow thruster . I think your domestic bank powers the thruster?

For your occasional one night stays 3 x 110Ah should be more than sufficient.
I would suggest you consider turning off the beer fridge when you arrive at your mooring.

My first boat had one 110Ah domestic battery and we took holidays up to two weeks on that with some boat travel each day to recharge the battery and only occasional hook up to shore power.

Sneds

Visit site
Yes we have a genie if needed so should never reach crisis point

The bow thruster has it's own battery under the island bed and yes the domestic bank starts the port engine

I am thinking that 3 X 110AH should be enough but don't want to compromise to much, saying that I would rather spend £210 on 3 110's than c £400 on 3 X 140's

I do turn the fridges down when we stop for the night with no shore power, not the beer fridge though, just her wine one!

Momac

Visit site
I have a pair of Hankook batteries for my domestic bank since June 2016 and they do seem good - so far.

Sneds

Visit site
My new starter battery is a Hankook and I was thinking of using the same brand for my domestic bank
Good to hear your positive feedback of the brand

Sneds

Visit site
Hankook 130Ah Leisure Battery - XL31

£104 each, seems like a reasonable compromise, sold, to me!

Cheers

rafiki_

Visit site
Like Sharpness I also use and rate Batterymegastore at Ashchurch. Always good value and service. Hankook is a Korean brand. I would expext the batteries to be Chinese made. May be ok, but only if Koreans run the quality dept.

Sneds

Visit site
Looks like they are manufactured in Korea

Decided to go for the the bigger Exide 655 type. At 142AH each

£120 each at Bristol Batteries (BBL) if buying three and collecting

North Somerset metal and cable recycling will buy the old ones for a fiver each

Momac

Visit site
It's not where they're made but how they're made that counts

I agree
The Atlas plant seems pretty big so perhap many other lead-acid batteries are copies of Hankook batteries with a different label?

Assassin

Visit site
Like Sharpness I also use and rate Batterymegastore at Ashchurch. Always good value and service. Hankook is a Korean brand. I would expext the batteries to be Chinese made. May be ok, but only if Koreans run the quality dept.

They are Chinese or Taiwanese made and rebadged generic batteries.

Check the warranty period and make a decision from there if the t&c's are ok.

Momac

Visit site
Check the warranty period and make a decision from there if the t&c's are ok.

I tried to return one within a year to a marina near me and received a rejection without even looking at the battery and the blame being placed with me and my charger . This was despite the other battery of the pair bought at the same time being okay. I don't place much faith in battery warranties.