Dolphins in the Med.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
A stunning photo Rupert. I've taken dozens of photos and videos of dolphins over the years but I have never managed to take anything even remotely comparable to that.

How did you get spot-on timing and sharpness? I'm sure that could be a competition winner.

Richard

RupertW

Visit site
A stunning photo Rupert. I've taken dozens of photos and videos of dolphins over the years but I have never managed to take anything even remotely comparable to that.

How did you get spot-on timing and sharpness? I'm sure that could be a competition winner.

Richard

Sorry - hijacking OPs thread - I was thinking I must get a video camera as movement is the really exciting bit.

I took quite a few from that visit from them and some were pretty pleasing, as were a few from earlier in the season but this one just looked completely different. I have Lakesailor (alas now left after Lounge spats) to thank as he persuaded me a couple of years ago to move on from my obsession with high quality fixed lens cameras to DSLRs by selling me a Nikon DSLR with 70-300mm zoom for £80 so I could have a try. Last year I took advantage of the high pound to buy an upgrade body and lens in Oz which I used for this. Basically I try to take sailing pics at 1/1000 sec or faster with all manual settings plus autofocus by separate button so it doesn't retry to focus between shots. Then zoom in and out like mad to frame and click a few times - I think I took a dozen shots of the 3 dolphins around us that time. And finally crop and adjust brightness in Photoshop a bit later.

Monique

Visit site
No problem RupertW, with photos like this, you can hijack my threads anytime!!

I use a Canon 5D Mk2 for stills and get very nice results too. :)

RupertW

Visit site
I use a Canon 5D Mk2 for stills and get very nice results too. :)

Very nice - I have a thing for retro cameras with real individual dials which I can feel when looking through the viewfinder so separately for exposure, ISO, bias, focus, aperture, single/continuous etc. so have probably slightly overpaid to have my usual camera Fuji 100 and for sailing a Nikon DF with a Nikkor VR 28-300mm zoom pretty much permanently on it.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
On a mooring buoy at Emborios, Kalymnos yesterday when three dolphins sounded a boat length astern of us. We have seen more than usual this year in the Aegean and I even saw a Risso's Dolphin near Chios, like a great big cuttlefish shell on the water.

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
The best picture I have ever taken of dolphins... After lots of shots of just the sea!!!

Biscay%2BDolphins.jpg

Pete

RupertW

Visit site
That really does work - especially the reflection of the blue sky in a grey sea to act as perfect background to the amazing timing of the dolphins.