Dolphin sightings

kghowe

Visit site
Well just to end a perfect day on the boat, turned into the small boat channel yesterday at Portsmouth and right in front of us a dolphin. This is the first time in 6 years boating we've seen one in the UK. It hung around for a bit and then disappeared. Any other formites see it? There was a P43, Fairline Targa and Sunny san remo bobbing round with us. Got some video which if I new how I'd post.

Still, what a week end.

Is there a site that records porpoise sightings. We were surprised to see a dolphin so far up the solent.

KGH

marine

Visit site
Portsmouth Harbour was frequented by one of these beautiful creatures last year, very friendly, which unfourtunatley led to its demise.

Apparently it tried to give a hug to one of the tugs in the harbour and lost..very sad!, but great to know there back again

mont

Visit site
Regular sightings on the Humber, at least three this year above the Bridge around Reads Island already.
Watched two together for about five minutes last year between Hull and Grimsby in mid channel - could have won an easy £20 bet from my friends who were gob smacked at seeing them and the seals.
Guess its just cleaner rivers feading cleaner estuaries which improve the fish stocks and then they are followed etc etc

rhodesia

Visit site
Fantastic to hear reports of these beautiful creatures.

Our very first trip out of Sovereign Harbour in September of last year came across a school of dolphins/porpoises swiming westwards near the Sovereign Light. These were particularly dark in colour, possibly porpoises?

Followed them for 20 minutes from a respectful distance, where was the camera? At home /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Made us realise we'd done the right thing by buying a boat!!

Any other sightings?

JasB

Visit site
not the best pic...but you get the idea:

manmast1.jpg

atlowers

Visit site
Took these mid solent 2 weeks ago think it may be same one as was badly scarred but fantastic 10 minutes spent as it played with the boat, it seemed pretty big (much bigger than pics look)but can anybody confirm, dolphin or porpoise, it arched gracefuly but never jumped and I think porpoise but ?. Joyful experience seeing these creatures in our waters. If its now in the harbour lets hope for a happier ending than on the last occassion.

angelineengineproblem030.jpg

angelineengineproblem029.jpg

angelineengineproblem031.jpg

ps got lobstered in newtown creek saturday, drunk in the folly saturday night and topped up the lobster effect in osborn bay sunday. Summers finally arrived yippeee! Hope you all had a great weekend too.