Dolphin direct drive engine

graham

Visit site
A friend has a classic clinker built gaff rig yacht with a Dolphin. His burns out the relay now and then and he is struggling to find a supplier now .Any ideas?

STATUE

Visit site
I bought a boat with a Dolphin. After many mishaps in not having complete control, out it came and in went a Yanmar 1GM1O.
What I should have done was to have bought the boat having negotiated down the price to cover the cost of engine replacement - but that's for clever people !

Keith 66

Visit site
In our club there have been a fair few Dolphins & a lot of Yanmar 1Gm 10s, To be honest the diesels gave more trouble to their owners over the years.

wombat88

Visit site
I realise I started this thread...some time ago. I decided not to buy a lovely boat because of the Dolphin. I'm sure it can be made to be reliable within its limitations but felt that I wanted to keep the mechanical side of sailing as simple and trouble free as possible. All that switch gear, a long keel and marina berthing really don't go together, a swinging mooring and it would be fine. I notice that the link to the manufacturers posted a while back no longer mentions Dolphins.