Dolphin battery charger annoying noisy fan always wirking - owners feedback pls

psousa

Visit site
Hi all!

My 9yo 25a dolphin charger is always operating the fan, doesn’t matter if in absorption, equalization out floating! Even in ‘night mode’!
As soon as I turn it on, the fan starts working. Since it’s located on the aft cabin, the one I use, this gets on my nerves!
Now it’s winter! No reason.

Is it like this or it’s malfunctioning?

Cheers

Dougal

Visit site
Hi all!

My 9yo 25a dolphin charger is always operating the fan, doesn’t matter if in absorption, equalization out floating! Even in ‘night mode’!
As soon as I turn it on, the fan starts working. Since it’s located on the aft cabin, the one I use, this gets on my nerves!

Cheers

We have what is I think the 30Amp version. They are, IMHO a great piece of kit. It does sound like your has developed a fault though. Presumably, it hasn't always done this? Is the unit very hot to the touch?

VicS

Visit site
Hi all!

Cheers

In night mode ITYWF that the fan should not operate ( reactivating automatically after 10 hours). The point of night mode is silent operation. The charging rate will be reduced while in night mode.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
My Victron 40A charger has the fan whirring away permanently although it has always done this so I have always assumed that it is supposed to do that.

It's fairly quiet so has never caused us any problem and, of course, once we're out of the marina, it's dead anyway.

Just checked in the manual and it does, indeed, have a "temperature and current controlled fan". However, as the recommended battery capacity is 400Ah, and I'm double that, I guess that might explain why the fan is always on. :ambivalence:

Richard

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
My Victron 40A charger has the fan whirring away permanently although it has always done this so I have always assumed that it is supposed to do that.

It's fairly quiet so has never caused us any problem and, of course, once we're out of the marina, it's dead anyway.

Just checked in the manual and it does, indeed, have a "temperature and current controlled fan". However, as the recommended battery capacity is 400Ah, and I'm double that, I guess that might explain why the fan is always on. :ambivalence:

Richard

But not a selectable "night mode" like the Dolphin ?

My charger can be selected to 2 amps max output, then the fan does not operate, otherwise it cuts in and out depending what the charger is doing.

VicS

Visit site
It's a Victron Centaur 12/40 and there's nothing like that in the manual nor any switches on the case so I guess not.

Richard

10r5ybq.jpg

If I was the OP I'd try and get inside it to check the button

Probably find the case is screwed together with "can't be undone screws" but thats where the set of "can't be undone screw" screw driver bits come in handy!

psousa

Visit site
I'm not sure if it was always like this since I only live aboard for less than 1 year but since the fan doesn't shutoff when in night mode, I assume it's something wrong...
What's the recommended bank size for this 25a charger, do you know?
I believe this is designed to charge 3 batteries (it has 3 output connections) but mine is actually charging 4: 1x80ah (engine) plus 3x100ah (service) batteries.

My charger is the same as in this picture:

VicS

Visit site
I'm not sure if it was always like this since I only live aboard for less than 1 year but since the fan doesn't shutoff when in night mode, I assume it's something wrong...
What's the recommended bank size for this 25a charger, do you know?
I believe this is designed to charge 3 batteries (it has 3 output connections) but mine is actually charging 4: 1x80ah (engine) plus 3x100ah (service) batteries.

My charger is the same as in this picture:

An older model than the one I showed which is one of the current range

You might be able to download a manual for it from the list of older models on the Dolphin Charger help centre https://www.dolphin-charger.com/help-center

For your total battery capacity a 25 amp charger would be about the minimum size to choose. Smaller would take too long to recharge a heavily discharged battery. According to the advice on Dolphin's website 20% of the battery capacity would be the maximum.

matt1

Visit site
There was a previous thread regarding fans on Dolphin chargers which I replied to...but can't for the life of me find. Anyway, when I questioned this many years ago with Merlin the said the fan came on when the detected voltage reached a certain level. For instance, when mine is disconnected, the fan comes one when the the batteries are fully charged and the solar panel is working hard. Really odd first time I heard it out at sea.....given we weren't connected to mains!

VicS

Visit site
There was a previous thread regarding fans on Dolphin chargers which I replied to...but can't for the life of me find. Anyway, when I questioned this many years ago with Merlin the said the fan came on when the detected voltage reached a certain level. For instance, when mine is disconnected, the fan comes one when the the batteries are fully charged and the solar panel is working hard. Really odd first time I heard it out at sea.....given we weren't connected to mains!

This thread?

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?500253-Advice-please-solar-panel-triggers-shore-power-fan

In psousa's case though he should be able to turn it off by selecting "night mode" but cannot.

psousa

Visit site
In psousa's case though he should be able to turn it off by selecting "night mode" but cannot.

That's true. I can ear it slowing down a little bit, but doesn't turn off. In order to sleep quite I turn the charging switch from the panel and it goes off. This is the only way to turn it off: by turning off the 'charging' switch on VDO panel (or switching off the shore power - I didn't know that this unit works with the engine working, so I never checked it).