Dogs, cruising?

ifoxwell

Visit site
We sail with a toy poodle and she is no trouble and enjoys her self most of the time. She doesn't like the leaning over to much or the bouncing in chop but if our daughter lets her she just curls up and goes to sleep. She also has the amazing ability of holding her toilet.

We have put some films up on youtube of our sailing for those that want something to watch

CreakyDecks

Visit site
Just remember that a wet dog is considerably heavier than a dry one. I could barely lift my old labradoodle back into the boat when he fell overboard (which he did a lot). This time I've got a miniature one!

geem

Visit site
Got two Patterdales that came across the Atlantic with us this winter. Now cruising that Caribbean. They live in the cockpit in all weathe but our cockpit provides shelter from rain in all weather. They don't like sails flogging, but they cope with everything else fine

SimonD

Visit site
The situation regarding taking pets to Ireland and onto the UK has been correctly summarised by aowen. It is this gaping hole in the fence that the RYA has been attempting to use to persuade Defra of the madness of its current pet travel scheme. I spoke with the legal bods recently. They have had a meeting with Defra officials but, sadly, made no progress. I don't think they've given up, but it doesn't look hopeful.

So, either come back from mainland Europe via Ireland or carry out your own risk assessment of the likelihood of being apprehended (and the even lower risk of a prosecution being brought by your Local Authority). Incidentally, RYA legal were amazed to discover that Defra (though the AHVLA) do not police the border; they only check that ferry companies are doing their job.