dog on board

Sy-Revolution

Visit site
Please note the problems we've had RE: public transport (bus, taxi, train) in other countries. They DON'T allow dogs. Nor on beaches - 500 euro fines in the Balearics.

See thread:

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260270

Sorry to be a downer but, although we love her there's barely been a day gone by that we haven't regreted getting her. We've not been able to travel inland at all.
Yes you can do the passport thing but it's the day-to-day stuff that really gets us. We're on lockdown. If I could find a good home for her she'd be gone I'm afraid.

C.

Last edited:

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Oh dear, that's a real shame, sorry to read it.
It does bear out what we felt about sending Chloe back home when we left inland France to 'go sailing' - but I also know there are plenty of folks cruising with dogs+cats on board.
The attitude towards dogs is pretty different the further south and east one goes, they become less 'pets' and more scavengers and potential trouble. Less sentiment and acceptance than there is in Northern Europe. The French, of course, love dogs and dogs can go practically anywhere. Which is great, except they encourage pointless barking and tolerate dumping on the pavements more than I like.

Eurydice

Visit site
TamT

When we left England over 7 years ago with a Westie 'Harry' it was going to cost 500 pounds to fly him to Athens then a long bus trip (if they would take him) from there to Levkas where the yacht was. Not to mention the cost of the carry case for him at that time which was just under 200 pounds for the right size. We loaded up an old banger that cost 300 pounds and drove out selling it on to one of the many ex-pats when we got there.

With regard to vets they are everywhere across greece and Turkey and Spain no problems at all. We lost Harry whilst wintering in Turkey and he couldn't have received better treatment in fact if you ever make it there he is buried behind the Navigator bar restaurant in a sunny corner.

Since we have taken a rescue dog on a greek stray thrown in to drown! As others have said start as you mean to go on from day one she pee'd on board and we haven't regretted forcing this as on those really rough days at sea she doesn't have to go ashore she simply takes herself up onto the side deck. Training was so easy although she did get alittle sea sick at first in rough weather.

Anyway I'd say plan to travel by land and take it as it comes its simply great fun having a dog on board and you'll meet more people than a little who will always remember you as the couple with 'that dog on board' When we lost Harry everyone remembered the dog and his name but didn't have a clue who we were!!!

Gull

Visit site
Hi am new here - first post ! We are part time liveaboards if there's such a thing. We are thinking of taking our 2 dogs out to Spain when we return in March. Have bought green grass mat thing for toilet training at sea. Liked advice from a previous poster to use this all time rather than keep taking them out. Are in marina quite a lot as don't sail when husband back at work. Am concerned about leaving dogs when we go out to shops, for a meal etc. They are used to being left at home for couple hours at a time so am hoping they will be fine. Will keep them in crew cabin at night and when we are out. Have 2 children and they miss dogs when we are away plus difficult to get someone to watch them for long periods of time so want to take them with us this time. Kids really don't want to see them being given away so fingers crossed all goes well ! Also travelling from Scotland but think we will drive first time. Is a pain that no airports north of border are in pet passport system.

IanJackson

Visit site
Dogs on Board

Our dog Fran a labxretreiver aged 3 years lives with us on board. She has a full EU Pet passport. We've only been asked for it in Gibraltar. She won't yet pee on board but we plan to use a tray with astroturf this year for longer passages. Otherwise she will go for 12-14 hours. She's very happy on board and usually 'sleeps' when underway. If it's rough she tries to wedge herself somewhere but finds it hard to get a good footing on the GRP. We've tried little rubber non slip bootees but they tend to come off.

When we go home she usually comes with us by car from france and Spain so far, or she stays in kennels. We can recommend "Barking Barxeta" between Alicante and Valencia. The owner ex pat Margaret charges about 10 euros per night all-in. email her on margaret@barking-barxeta.co.uk or +34 685 615 348. When we see the vet 24-48 hours before re-entry to UK, we take our own tick and worm treatments to keep the cost down (Make sure it's the recommended brand/product).

In France, dogs are welcomed in bars and restaurants and public transport, but in Spain while most european Spaniards like dogs, the official policy is to bar them from places like restaurants and public transport. For example, in Barcelona, no dogs on the metro, buses including tourist buses, and taxis. We found that Africans and Arabs have a cultural dislike or even fear of dogs. This is because in their countries feral dogs often roam free and carry all kinds of diseases including rabies.

Fran does provide some 'security'; we haven't been mugged (yet) because either she puts off potential muggers or we don't look like tourists when she's with us.

In summary, having a dog on board should not be a problem at all provided you plan things and you will enjoy all the benefits of dog ownership too.

Fox Morgan

Visit site
Hi,
sorry to jump in on the conversation, but Im just getting my dog passported at the moment. Currently awaiting the blood test result.

I was hoping to take the dog on the boat with me to france or holland later this summer, but am I to believe that I cant take him at all if I dont fly him over? I want to go across for a week maybe to holland from the east coast, and my dog travels brilliantly.
We live on a river trot mooring most of the time and he's perfectly happy to do his business out side in the cockpit, inside in a litter tray or hop aboard the dinghy for a trip ashore.

I thought that, or I heard that, if the dog doesnt go ashore then theres no probs taking them anywhere? Some people told me that they go to france, anchor up somewhere quiet and happily take dog ashore in the dinghy.

bearing in mind, mines a chihuahua and fits in a small rucksack or day bag, he really is a top travelling companion.
Id be sad to leave him behind once hes fully passported.
Can I send him across the channel on the ferry and meet him the other side if I cant take him on my own boat?

Id appreciate a bit of advice on this. thanks

Jayne

--------------------
Push the Boat Out

Gull

Visit site
From what I've read it's only coming back to the UK that you can't bring pets on a private boat. They have to come into UK via recognised port or airport under pet passport system. Think you can take them over to France ok. Am sure someone will correct me if I've read it incorrectly :)

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
You can take the dog to France on a surf board if you like - it's the return to the UK that invokes the regulations. People do indeed take their animals on quiet cruises across the Channel. And back. But it is chancy, I suppose.

maxi77

Visit site
Hi,
sorry to jump in on the conversation, but Im just getting my dog passported at the moment. Currently awaiting the blood test result.

I was hoping to take the dog on the boat with me to france or holland later this summer, but am I to believe that I cant take him at all if I dont fly him over? I want to go across for a week maybe to holland from the east coast, and my dog travels brilliantly.
We live on a river trot mooring most of the time and he's perfectly happy to do his business out side in the cockpit, inside in a litter tray or hop aboard the dinghy for a trip ashore.

I thought that, or I heard that, if the dog doesnt go ashore then theres no probs taking them anywhere? Some people told me that they go to france, anchor up somewhere quiet and happily take dog ashore in the dinghy.

bearing in mind, mines a chihuahua and fits in a small rucksack or day bag, he really is a top travelling companion.
Id be sad to leave him behind once hes fully passported.
Can I send him across the channel on the ferry and meet him the other side if I cant take him on my own boat?

Id appreciate a bit of advice on this. thanks

Jayne

--------------------
Push the Boat Out

Assuming your dog passport is up to date you should have no problems arriving in most European countries, in fact you propably won't even be asked for it. Regretably return to the UK is different, you can only take the dog on approved carriers to approved ports which means your dog must either fly or take a ferry.

As far as I can see DEFRA didn't like being obliged to accept the pet passport scheme and made up some special rules to try and make life just that little bit more difficult. That's civil serpents for you

Liz_I

Visit site
"As far as I can see DEFRA didn't like being obliged to accept the pet passport scheme and made up some special rules to try and make life just that little bit more difficult. That's civil serpents for you"

That is a very strange comment and not accurate.

The Quarantine laws were relaxed with the introduction of PETS . Many people take their dogs/cats on holiday to Europe under this scheme. However most of these folks are traveling by car. I have no idea of how many are using their boats but I would hazard a guess that it is in the hundreds. Therefore not cost effective to bring back customs control for the ports that these vessels leave/arrive from.

I am sure that there are folks that risk the consequences of being caught. The worst case scenario is the animal being destroyed. The cost of quarantine would far outway the cost of the animal being left in boarding kennels for a couple of weeks. Sure you will be told that 'we did it, no problem' if you believe that and want to take the risk then please do so:(

Ferry companies will not accept an unaccompanied animal. There is one ferry company that will accept animals traveling with foot passengers. Sadly this is South Coast of England. I'm not saying the situation is ideal but it's far better than before PETS was implemented.

Peter I'd really be interested in how you came to the conclusion that DEFRA & civil servants made up special rules to make it more difficult. Perhaps you could enlighten us on this?

Last edited:

maxi77

Visit site
"As far as I can see DEFRA didn't like being obliged to accept the pet passport scheme and made up some special rules to try and make life just that little bit more difficult. That's civil serpents for you"

That is a very strange comment and not accurate.

The Quarantine laws were relaxed with the introduction of PETS . Many people take their dogs/cats on holiday to Europe under this scheme. However most of these folks are traveling by car. I have no idea of how many are using their boats but I would hazard a guess that it is in the hundreds. Therefore not cost effective to bring back customs control for the ports that these vessels leave/arrive from.

I am sure that there are folks that risk the consequences of being caught. The worst case scenario is the animal being destroyed. The cost of quarantine would far outway the cost of the animal being left in boarding kennels for a couple of weeks. Sure you will be told that 'we did it, no problem' if you believe that and want to take the risk then please do so:(

Ferry companies will not accept an unaccompanied animal. There is one ferry company that will accept animals traveling with foot passengers. Sadly this is South Coast of England. I'm not saying the situation is ideal but it's far better than before PETS was implemented.

Peter I'd really be interested in how you came to the conclusion that DEFRA & civil servants made up special rules to make it more difficult. Perhaps you could enlighten us on this?

I believe the present scheme is very easy to evade, and actually encourages evasion. Since leaving the UK we have been asked if we had a Pet Passport twice, and it has been examined once, and that was to show a trainee what to look for.

As for the serpentry and their attitude to rule making, that opinion comes from many years of observation. It is one of our problems with EU regulation where the UK form is always more restrictive than the way it is applied in the rest of the EU.

Liz_I

Visit site
Are you sure you are not a civil servant then? :D The evasion of the question was very eloquent.

We have had Ziggy, our dog, on board for 11 years & have NEVER shown his passport or papers to anyone except the ferrry companies (3 times returning briefly to UK) & of course Malta. We have travelled most of Europe incl Croatia. Also Maderia, Canaries, & the Azores. Gib, in fact we were dissapointed not to show his passport at the border, but we were travelling by car!

You may be aware that the UK is slightly different to the rest of Europe! Insofar as we are a small island. Our wildlife doesn't have vast tracts of countryside as do the european cousins. Pressure was brought upon the government to change the live animal (mammal) import regulations.

Brits were maybe not happy, but accepted that we had a Quarantine system, right or wrong it worked. Now we were faced with opening the 'borders'. Rules had to be made and a safe, satisfactory solution found.

Now, in the days of Quarantine there were many who tried and got away with smuggling animals into the UK.

Now there are still many who take their animals out of UK and bring them back illegally. Okay, so 'rules are meant to be broken', 'I've got my dog/cats passport, so what'. Well actually the 'so what' is quite an alarming scenario.

You, having studied for many years through observation, will of course know. Or will you?

Every live wild animal, everything that moves or flies will be destroyed if there is an outbreak of rabies in UK. Initially it will be localized to the area in which the outbreak took place. Thereafter................... Now, are those of you who think it's fair game to bring your pet back illegally willing to do this? Or worse, imagine someone actually dying of rabies, having been bitten by, say, a rabid fox?

I do not count those who smuggle their pets to be animal lovers. They are, by definition, careless, foolhardy and mindless.

Rabies is, in fact, after declining now on the increase mainly due to the fact that there are no border controls especially in France. People are travelling to North Africa and finding cute strays that they bring back. The rabies vacc. blood tets etc should be done. We know personally one couple who live in Morocco and travel with their dog back and forth. They do have the paperwork and the tests have been done but they are not checked on arrival.

Sigh, sigh, I can hear the masses, "scare mongering, it will never happen". Well for all our sakes I really & truthfully hope you are right.

maxi77

Visit site
Are you sure you are not a civil servant then? :D The evasion of the question was very eloquent.

We have had Ziggy, our dog, on board for 11 years & have NEVER shown his passport or papers to anyone except the ferrry companies (3 times returning briefly to UK) & of course Malta. We have travelled most of Europe incl Croatia. Also Maderia, Canaries, & the Azores. Gib, in fact we were dissapointed not to show his passport at the border, but we were travelling by car!

You may be aware that the UK is slightly different to the rest of Europe! Insofar as we are a small island. Our wildlife doesn't have vast tracts of countryside as do the european cousins. Pressure was brought upon the government to change the live animal (mammal) import regulations.

Brits were maybe not happy, but accepted that we had a Quarantine system, right or wrong it worked. Now we were faced with opening the 'borders'. Rules had to be made and a safe, satisfactory solution found.

Now, in the days of Quarantine there were many who tried and got away with smuggling animals into the UK.

Now there are still many who take their animals out of UK and bring them back illegally. Okay, so 'rules are meant to be broken', 'I've got my dog/cats passport, so what'. Well actually the 'so what' is quite an alarming scenario.

You, having studied for many years through observation, will of course know. Or will you?

Every live wild animal, everything that moves or flies will be destroyed if there is an outbreak of rabies in UK. Initially it will be localized to the area in which the outbreak took place. Thereafter................... Now, are those of you who think it's fair game to bring your pet back illegally willing to do this? Or worse, imagine someone actually dying of rabies, having been bitten by, say, a rabid fox?

I do not count those who smuggle their pets to be animal lovers. They are, by definition, careless, foolhardy and mindless.

Rabies is, in fact, after declining now on the increase mainly due to the fact that there are no border controls especially in France. People are travelling to North Africa and finding cute strays that they bring back. The rabies vacc. blood tets etc should be done. We know personally one couple who live in Morocco and travel with their dog back and forth. They do have the paperwork and the tests have been done but they are not checked on arrival.

Sigh, sigh, I can hear the masses, "scare mongering, it will never happen". Well for all our sakes I really & truthfully hope you are right.

No I am not a serpent, civil or otherwise though I have had to deal with many over most of my working life and was even married to one.

I have no intention of evading the rules and will accept the finacial hit and inconvenience in complying with them.

One of the intersting realities is that the area of Europe that is considered rabies free is growing as a result of the pet passport scheme so perhaps the risk of a less restrictive system may actually be safer as it will encourage more compliance rather than more evasion.

ps We even have a local dog licence and as such accept an anuual check here as to the staus of our pet passport.