Does the panel think?

Ramage

Visit site
My son Alex has just got home having won the Boys Year 8 Gold medal at the National Junior Indoor Rowing Championships. http://www.londonyouthrowing.com/njirc_home.htm

He is due to help me take Carli up-river at the weekend...does this mean I will have to reverse upstream while he shouts abuse to all and sundry?

You know what these ROBOers are like!

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Paul

sarabande

Visit site
I think that anyone who has a website called "London You Throwing" must have nautical connections...

If you insist on taking roboers on an expedition, remind them that they are the emergency engine - though there is prolly something in their contract that forbids them from working as a galley slave.

Well done to the lad ! I hope you can keep him in steaks !

Captain Coochie

Visit site
Well done him !
Do you think he will cycle along the towpath barking orders out of a megaphone at 6 AM or just lean on the pulpit rail and give order through the inboard speakers /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sneds

Visit site
Congrats to the lad!!

Good to see young uns on the water, whatever the shape of the boat /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ramage

Visit site
Well, he is not all ROBO... he took and passed RYA Powerboat 1 two years ago (when he was 11).

He is going to try and get Powerboat 2 in a couple of weeks time. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ramage

Visit site
He is fine on the water too! They have not done much in the boats since Xmas because of the Red Board conditions, but they are starting to go back out there now.

At one point during the winter they went to Docklands and rowed in a tank!

Those who were at the last BCC social have already met him!

TrueBlue

Visit site
I'm not much good at doing funnies; so I'll have to spoil things by being serious...

Wouldn't it be great if young Alex could explain the ROBOs point of view? (apart from "everybody except Rowers should be banned")

For example:-
why do they invariably row on the wrong side of the river?
Why do the roar past - on the inside of course, and then stop just a bit further on in your exact path?
Why do they wait until you are near and THEN turn (especially eights)?

I'm not trying to be controversial, or start an argument, but being a simple soul there must be a reason, surely, surely?

Brayman

Visit site
That's a bit cruel on a youngster, he won't know the answers yet. Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he can appreciate that we all love the river for different reasons.
I'm looking forward to meeting him and his dad when they get Carli to Bray.

Ramage

Visit site
Hopefully Alex will never be as bad as some of the ROBO ers we have seen, since he was powerboating in his own 12ft boat long before he started rowing.

Carli is currently on the visitors pontoon at Penton Hook and is suffering from a defective alternator. It was working fine when I left Walton, but it stopped charging near Chertsey. (No ignition light and no rev counter... bulb is ok). Looks like the regulator has died (brushes are ok).

Might not get to Bray this weekend. I will have to let Colin Jeffries (Penton Hook Manager) know we might be overstaying our welcome! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

DogsBody

Visit site
Re: Overstaying welcome

Doubt there'll be a problem there (as I'm sure you know already) as a Bray marina berth holder, you can stay as long as you like at Windsor and Penton Hook marinas, although prior booking is probably a good idea.

If you need an MDL electric lead, I know someone who has one going spare as they left Bray this weekend and have no need for it.

Regards,

Darren.

Ramage

Visit site
Re: Overstaying welcome

Alternator sorted yesterday, cruised up today with my Mum & Dad on board. (SWMBO and the kids were up in the Midlands for a Scout National Airgun Competition. Our team came third!).
Both my parents admired the surroundings at Bray.

Huge thanks to Colin Jeffries and all at Penton for their hospitality.

We would LOVE an MDL lead! Many thanks Darren! I owe you one, or several of these... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Paul