Does it Count

derekbland

Visit site
We are looking to do part liveaboard from Summer 2019 in the Med. We are looking to stay for periods of around 3 -8 weeks at a time. We assume the kids will do around 4 -5 weeks of the year with us. We ill be keeping our house in the UK and do most of our flights in low season to keep the costs down. Would you still class this as liveaboard?

The boat, provided all goes well, will be a Princess 45 fly.

I would be interested in any high level tips for staying for long'ish periods at a time.

macd

Visit site
Would you still class this as liveaboard?

Welcome to the forum, Derek.
In the example you describe, the meaning of 'liveaboard' is entirely defined by the listener. It has no official status. If you have particular concerns (fiscal, NHS eligibility, whatever), it would help if you could spell them out. In general terms, absences of the duration you mention are of no consequence whatever.

P.S. 'The Med' is a very big place with much variety. Some idea of where you have in mind would also be helpful.

Last edited:

derekbland

Visit site
Welcome to the forum, Derek.

In the example you describe, the meaning of 'liveaboard' is entirely defined by the listener. It has no official status. If you have particular concerns (fiscal, NHS eligibility, whatever), it would help if you could spell them out. In general terms, absences of the duration you mention are of no consequence whatever.

P.S. 'The Med' is a very big place with much variety. Some idea of where you have in mind would also be helpful.

Hi Mac,

Looking to move down to the Vendee or Northern Spain late this season or a slow cruise all the way around to southern Spain next season. Either way we intend to get to southern Spain by June 2019.

This is intended to be at least a 3-year venture, hopefully nearer 5 or more. We aren't intending to go over the 183 day period or at least not for the foreseeable future.

I envisage more same day shopping, fresh produce, making friends and simply enjoying a relaxed and warmer life. There are no definite plans on when and where but a loose itinerary until nearer the time. The intention is not to blat everywhere but to base ourselves somewhere for a while and explore the area, inland as well. Anchoring overnight for the odd day or two. I am just trying to get an idea of what people do, where they go how they live etc.

Cheers,

Derek

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Hi Mac,

Looking to move down to the Vendee or Northern Spain late this season or a slow cruise all the way around to southern Spain next season. Either way we intend to get to southern Spain by June 2019.

This is intended to be at least a 3-year venture, hopefully nearer 5 or more. We aren't intending to go over the 183 day period or at least not for the foreseeable future.

I envisage more same day shopping, fresh produce, making friends and simply enjoying a relaxed and warmer life. There are no definite plans on when and where but a loose itinerary until nearer the time. The intention is not to blat everywhere but to base ourselves somewhere for a while and explore the area, inland as well. Anchoring overnight for the odd day or two. I am just trying to get an idea of what people do, where they go how they live etc.

Cheers,

Derek

Welcome. Consider staying around the Spanish Rias for a season. You can easily cruise between Viviero right down to Porto in Portugal with plenty of places to shelter. No problem sitting at anchor for days at a time with easy dinghy access to towns. Provisioning is easy, costs generally increase as you go further South. People are friendly and weather is generally good. It will be wet in winter but you'll be back in UK by then.

Flight home aren't always simple but shouldn't be a big problem. Even places far from an airport with flight to UK won't be a big problem (e.g. Cheap train from Vigo to Santiago de Compostela). Marina costs aren't bad but you can easily avoid them when cruising and just find one when you need to return home (advance planning required).

You can practically have a local fiesta everyday if you move at the correct time. Some places have week long festivities.

Last edited:

derekbland

Visit site
Welcome. Consider staying around the Spanish Rias for a season. You can easily cruise between Viviero right down to Porto in Portugal with plenty of places to shelter. No problem sitting at anchor for days at a time with easy dinghy access to towns. Provisioning is easy, costs generally increase as you go further South. People are friendly and weather is generally good. It will be wet in winter but you'll be back in UK by then.

Flight home aren't always simple but shouldn't be a big problem. Even places far from an airport with flight to UK won't be a big problem (e.g. Cheap train from Vigo to Santiago de Compostela). Marina costs aren't bad but you can easily avoid them when cruising and just find one when you need to return home (advance planning required).

You can practically have a local fiesta everyday if you move at the correct time. Some places have week long festivities.

You paint a fab picture re fiestas and festivals. So many options it is difficult to know what to do. I'll certainly have a look at the area as I know nothing about it.

Cheers

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
You paint a fab picture re fiestas and festivals. So many options it is difficult to know what to do. I'll certainly have a look at the area as I know nothing about it.

Cheers

Details of our time in that area at these links. Not very boaty I'm afraid as it as really meant to keep family and friends informed of our progress. Probably rather boring but plenty of pictures around the Rias. If you zoom in, the interactive maps do give a decent idea of where we did anchor.

http://www.mistroma.com/Cruise2012.html
http://www.mistroma.com/Cruise2013.html

derekbland

Visit site
Details of our time in that area at these links. Not very boaty I'm afraid as it as really meant to keep family and friends informed of our progress. Probably rather boring but plenty of pictures around the Rias. If you zoom in, the interactive maps do give a decent idea of where we did anchor.

http://www.mistroma.com/Cruise2012.html
http://www.mistroma.com/Cruise2013.html

These are great. I will go through them in more detail later. Are you carrying on around to the east side of Greece?

Last edited:

derekbland

Visit site
Liveaboards are called that because they live aboard - full time.

So what am I doing if I am aboard and using as a second home equally with living at home. In that case I am neither a live at home nor liveaboard. Doesn't really matter to me. I can see how giving up the traditional home is very different from permanently living aboard. So , do you still have a residence in the UK or elsewhere other than your boat?

macd

Visit site
So what am I doing if I am aboard and using as a second home equally with living at home. In that case I am neither a live at home nor liveaboard. Doesn't really matter to me. I can see how giving up the traditional home is very different from permanently living aboard. So , do you still have a residence in the UK or elsewhere other than your boat?

You'll see just below the "#8" at the top of his post that he lives in Hampshire, Derek, although he's well-known for having another address in Cuckooland.

derekbland

Visit site
Why is it important whether or not you are called a 'liveaboard'? Does being one confer some special status?

It isn't "important" just establishing peoples opinions and any conventions they use - it's a bit like making conversation. Glad I did post it as I have benefitted from some great info re north west corner of Spain along with a kinda travalog.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
These are great. I will go through them in more detail later. Are you carrying on around to the east side of Greece?

Yes, carrying on out on Ionian but probably not via the canal (still closed as far as I know). No firm plans yet.

I might have some detailed notes on Galicia and will pass then to you if I can find them. They date back to 2012-13 but might still be useful.

derekbland

Visit site
Yes, carrying on out on Ionian but probably not via the canal (still closed as far as I know). No firm plans yet.

I might have some detailed notes on Galicia and will pass then to you if I can find them. They date back to 2012-13 but might still be useful.
Appreciated

PlanB

Visit site
WE did the trip from London to the Med over five months in 2005 in a Princess 435 and have lived aboard ever since. We wish we had taken two seasons for the trip and overwintered somewhere like Cap Breton. It was a wonderful trip.
Feel free to ask any questions publicly or by PM. And call yourself what you like!

derekbland

Visit site
WE did the trip from London to the Med over five months in 2005 in a Princess 435 and have lived aboard ever since. We wish we had taken two seasons for the trip and overwintered somewhere like Cap Breton. It was a wonderful trip.
Feel free to ask any questions publicly or by PM. And call yourself what you like!

Thank you. I will wait to see if it all goes through and if it does I will deffo take you up on your offer.

We are thinking of starting to move it around towards the Vendee later this year rather than wait until next.