Does a new engine add value?

Memphis_Chung

Visit site
Hi team,

I know they say that you dont get the momeny you spend on your boat back, but does this extend to a new engine? Any experiences/anecdotes to share on this wet friday?

Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>Quit the job, sell the house, sell the kids, sell your wife, go sailing.......

G

It doesn't bring it above market value for a good example of the boat .....BUT it would make a serious difference to anyone looking at that boat and similar to know that a new lump is in there and he can literally expect years of good service etc.

Think on yourself - which boat would you buy ? 2 boats similar price or type ....one with new engine - or the one with the old faithful still chugging away .....

Don't forget that there are recon engines as well at cheaper and give similar confidence when selling ....

Afraid its one of those areas - what value do you put on ease of mind and enjoyment of sailing .... knowing that on selling most will be lost ......

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ... and of course Yahoo groups :
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gps-navigator/

G

Having had my engine seize one weekend - never to run again .... had friends on as well.
We were at Folly Inn and had to sail off the pontoons amongst a lot of rafted boats ..... plus get past Cowes Chain Ferry, other boats that were swanning all over the place ..... arrive at home marina and warp her in ..... not easy - but extremely satisfying when you succeed - especially when Sunsail 'experts' are watching and whispering to their crews .... watch this idiot ! Well sorry boys - got out without any hassle, never got near to touching any other boat .... smartly short-turned her 180 with main and genny ..... sailed out with not a hair out of place ....

Memphis_Chung

Visit site
Impressive! Mine was cutting in and out all the way up Chichester Harbour, cut out for good in the marina and fortunately had enough way on to coast into mooring. Not as impressive as your effort but immensively satisfying given the stress of the previous hour!

<hr width=100% size=1>Quit the job, sell the house, sell the kids, sell your wife, go sailing.......

l'escargot

Visit site
The value of the engine does not increase the sale value of the boat by an equivalent amount. Everything else considered, it should put it at the top of the price range for that particular class.

I would only consider a new engine if I was going to benefit from it myself for four or five years. I have however re engined twice with second hand engines at about £500 a time - the first lasted 6 years and the most recent one I anticipate being good for at least that long.

<hr width=100% size=1>
smallsnail.gif

Memphis_Chung

Visit site
Given my financial situation - I shant be upgrading for the forseeable future! 5 years of enjoyment is a minimum!

wooslehunter

Visit site
I don't think you'd get all your money back but it would add some value make it easier to sell. Depends a lot on the condition of the rest of the boat.

I seriously considered two boats that had new installations but eventually went for one that just had a recon because the other two had serious problems elsewhere.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
After giving the name of your boat in your profile and posting your engine problems here then I would say fitting a new engine will add value to your boat.
Did you know of the problems when you purchased the boat did you get money off to allow for the engine problems?
Maybe a legal eagle on here could clarify this, if you post on here that your engine is a waste of space and has let you down and you then try to sell the boat must you tell the buyer. As once you post on here you cannot rub it out should you decide to sell with the engine problem unresolved.

Trevor

<hr width=100% size=1>

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
I bought a new engine for my previous X99 10 months before I sold it. It was rather painful financially, but the previous engine was kippered, and so it had to be replaced.

I reckon it added about half the price of the engine (engine plus fitting was £5k) to the value of the boat. It certainly made it very sellable though, and that has value too. Prospective buyers seemed to be keen just because of this, and were prepared to overlook the rather manky collection of sails, which together would have cost another £5k to replace.

I would rather have sold it for less money with the old engine still running though.

<hr width=100% size=1>My ultimate dream - sailing a superyacht on the Sea of Okhotsk

Memphis_Chung

Visit site
Its a bit moot as the engine is dead and will definitely be replaced. An interesting point though - I would always do a search on this forum for any info on a potential boat as it such a mine of information! . I dont think you are duty bound to declare engine problems because you have discussed on the forum - the duty is to answer the question re engine condition truthfully when asked . Forum discussion would be evidence reinforcing/or disputing what has been said - I did know the engine was the weak link (had hoped for a few more years out of it though) - and the previous owners have been honest and v helpful throughout.

Of course I may be talking nonsense (my A Level law didnt cover this sort of thing)

G

My replacement 4-107 cost 200 quid + fitting into ahole left by the 4-99 ..... so not a lot.

I'm happy and it should last me a while.

But good thing is - boat is now marketable with reasonable engine ....

G

The post as I see it cannot be used as real evidence as it a comment rather than a legal statement. The poster could well be wrong ........ and who's to say that he is lieing if he claims he reconned the engine privately as I have done previously ?

G

I hunted around hard and found it on my doorstep !! Had sat in a shed for about 6 yrs.

There are all sorts out there in the mags and advert papers ..... trot around engine sheds - they often have units that they recon after supplying new, boat yards etc. clubs ----- you'll be surprised how many s/hand units are out there ....

G

Previously bought a Johnson Seahorse ..... started lovely ..... When I actually got it to awater tank - (bought private of an old boy ...... inland) .... no water through cooling. So had it checked - it was condemned as the water channels in leg were completely collapsed and gone.
Comeback ? Nought - I was told - private sale - Caveat Emptor by Trading Stds pal of mine. HE told me to do same and sell on ... so I put it back together and sold it for same as I paid - BUT did warn buyer that cooling did not work and needed sorting. etc. The power-head was worth the money alone - which was in really good nick.

Caveat Emptor

silverseal

Visit site
The last two boats which I have bought had old engines. The Sea Lord, had a Dolphin 2 stroke, which was viewed with a sense of forboding, and which received a healthy reduction on the basis of having to re engine. The engine ran faultlessly and was joy to use, and was sold 5 years later sound as a bell. My recent Kingfisher 30 has its 32 year old Ford Cortina based Sea Panather diesel, which starts faultlessly in less than 2 seconds without glow plugs. Again my offer to buy this boat was based on my expectations of having to re engine.
My conclusion is that a properly maintained engine which is old is probably no worse than engines which are a lot younger, and less well maintained. The obvious thing when buying is to factor in a possible upgrade,if needed, into the offer price

<hr width=100% size=1>