Dodgy anchor winch

Visit site
I have a Lucas 12v windlass on my 37' yacht. The problem is it retrieves the chain ok when under minimal load but as soon as any strain comes on it grinds almost to a halt. The unit is 10 yrs old and when new would pull the chain & anchor up no problems, even without motoring forward. I always run the motor when using the winch. Ground tackle is 3/8ths chain & 35 lb plough.

Any ideas???

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
probably means something is preventing it drawind all the current it needs. that could be corroded terminals in the wiring or worn brushes. can you measure the current draw when it is struggling? on mine, i know when it's overloaded because the breaker pops out.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hylas

Visit site
Re: Difficult to be very precise..

But they are several possibilities..
Serious ones.. you may have to change the motor..

But it could be also a very simple problem.. If for obvious reasons (salty athmosphere..) your electrical connexions are oxyded, it could be enough to create the problem..

So.. before doing anything else, clean all electrical connexions et re-tight them..
I wish you it will work..

Peaceful anchorages..

<hr width=100% size=1>

Birdseye

Visit site
the elecrical connections are the first thing to check but then check the gear train or drive chain. if this is all cruddy and rusted it might well be providing all the load that the motor can haul.

once you've checked the electrics and assuming no imporovement, it sounds like a remove and strip down job to me. great fun!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I have struggled for 5 years with a Lofrans - it is 1977 vintage however - hated anchoring as I always had to 'help' the winch. I tried new brushes, very slightly inproved. Then I did a bit of DIY on the winch to change a dodgy chain stripper - Damage it youself was the result (broke the casting holding the chain stripper).

Had to get a new winch - best thing I ever did - now I let SWMBO pull up the anchor with her toe!

I think the motor was knackered - although the guy who rebrushed it said it was OK. I am glad I didn'nt spend anymore money refurbishing - a new motor would have been half the cost of a new winch (£685)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys. Will start with the electrical connections & take it from there. Cheers!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Yes - Lofrans Tigress 1200 watt. - design hasn't changed in 30 years so straight replacement fit.

All cables were completely free of corrosion - which I don't understand after 25 years - connected on the foredeck!

Its transformed our sailing as we now will anchor several times a day in what ever deapth we have to. Last year when the winch went on the blink I had to pull up a 45lb anchor by hand - haert attack stuff.

<hr width=100% size=1>