Docking and undocking.

jt_MG Spring

Visit site
Last week I tied my 25ft yacht up on a pontoon at Lawrenny off the Cleddau river. This was a typical floating pontoon, 90 degrees straight out into a river from the shore with a small hammerhead berth on the end. I tied up on a section at right angles to the current shortly before high water using what was left of the flood holding me off the pontoon gently whilst I tied up beam on. Upon my return things were a little more tricky...The tide had turned and was now fair running on the ebb and pinning the boat side on to the pontoon with the fenders nicely squashed. As it turns out, I got out ok with a bit of power from the engine in reverse and one person holding me off on the pontoon whilst I backed out, but to be honest was I lucky not scrape the hull and I would like to know how I can better prepare my exit when I repeat a similar manoeuvre in future under much more control. I guess it would involve some means of springing off with the engine in gear on tickover to hold the boat out before slipping out at a safer angle? thought's appreciated about any techniques or suggestions to do this. Many thanks in advance.

johnalison

Visit site
Similar with a strong onshore wind, and can be very tricky. If there are other craft around it can be near impossible and sometimes the only thing to do is wait for the tide to change. Lots of welly, but only when you can abort without damage to yourself or others.

Topcat47

Visit site
If you're pinned by a goodly tidal flow, you're more or less stuffed. I was pinned to the pontoon by Hales in Yarmouth (IoW) by the combination of tide and Yar current and no amount of faffing about with a spring was any use. A fin keeler nearby managed to get off and I was able to navigate away from the pontoon with the help of crew from other yachts nearby.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
I was pinned to the pontoon by Hales in Yarmouth (IoW) by the combination of tide and Yar current and no amount of faffing about with a spring was any use.

You could always ask the HM for help. Their dories are quite used to pushing or pulling boats that need it. Rather that than have boats ricochetting around their harbour.

V1701

Visit site
Last week I tied my 25ft yacht up on a pontoon at Lawrenny off the Cleddau river. This was a typical floating pontoon, 90 degrees straight out into a river from the shore with a small hammerhead berth on the end. I tied up on a section at right angles to the current shortly before high water using what was left of the flood holding me off the pontoon gently whilst I tied up beam on. Upon my return things were a little more tricky...The tide had turned and was now fair running on the ebb and pinning the boat side on to the pontoon with the fenders nicely squashed. As it turns out, I got out ok with a bit of power from the engine in reverse and one person holding me off on the pontoon whilst I backed out, but to be honest was I lucky not scrape the hull and I would like to know how I can better prepare my exit when I repeat a similar manoeuvre in future under much more control. I guess it would involve some means of springing off with the engine in gear on tickover to hold the boat out before slipping out at a safer angle? thought's appreciated about any techniques or suggestions to do this. Many thanks in advance.

In hindsight would it have been better (and easier?) to go on the other side of the pontoon so that when you returned the ebb would have been carrying you off the pontoon?

MoodySabre

Visit site
In hindsight would it have been better (and easier?) to go on the other side of the pontoon so that when you returned the ebb would have been carrying you off the pontoon?

My thoughts too. Or tie up on the hammerhead.

I know Lawrennry as my son lives overlooking Lawrenny Reach and has a boat on a mooring there. There is a strong current indeed. The hammerheads on the yacht station pontoon and the pub pontoons are quite narrow. Were you against the end or on the bit from the shore?

Aerial view

jt_MG Spring

Visit site
Yes that's right, it was on the pontoon for the lawrenny arm's pub. I was tied up with the bow pointing at the near shore on the main part of the leg, side on to the current. Yes, I completely agree it would of been better to tie up on the 'other side' ready and prepared for the ebb current as it was nearly HW anyway and it would of just been a simple case of slipping the lines and drifting off. However, you can't always have it that easy everytime you tie up as other boats may be occupying the best spots and it's not always practical to wait until slack water before leaving. Thanks for your help and tips so far all, I shall keep looking into suggested methods for this scenario and hopefully be better prepared for the next time...

Last edited:

andygc

Visit site
If you are pinned to a berth and cannot get off by springing and there's nobody handy to pull you off with a RIB and you really must get away there is always the much underused method of warping off. There is nothing to stop you rowing off with a kedge, well upstream of your boat (unless you haven't got a tender!). That looks to be a nice muddy bottom, so the kedge should hold. Then winch in on the kedge to pull your bow well off the berth and away you go.

Of course, if you are single-handed you are probably still stuffed as you can't be at both ends of the boat at the same time - although if you have 2 kedges you could work your way out into the main channel - hard work, but feasible.

Coaster

Visit site
As Andygc says, warping can be a viable option, especially when you're inside a hammerhead. I parked our dinghy on the same pontoon on Saturday, having used it many times over the years.

If I understand right, a 25' boat is moored against the leg of a T plan jetty, the stern being close to the hammerhead. If so you could:

1. Move any dinghies attached to the inside of the hammerhead.

2. Fender your stern well, preferably having someone with a roving ball fender.

3. Release all of your lines, except a loose stern line (the current will hold you on).

4. Take 2 reasonably long lines from your bows over to a cleat, ring or similar, at the end of the hammerhead.

5. Pull on one of the long lines, to swing the bows out from the pontoon leg. If the current's too strong, attach both ends the line firmly and pull sideways as near to the middle as you can reach (if necessary use an extra rope tied to the line).

6. Use the second line to hold the boat when partly swung out, preferably with an assistant making it fast.

7. Repeat until the boat has swung through 90 degrees and is lying alongside the inside of the hammerhead, pointing directly into the tidal stream, with fenders between your transom and the pontoon main leg, and if necessary between your boat and the hammerhead.

8. Remove all lines except for a short slip line to the hammerhead.

9. Drive off, releasing the slip line as you go.

Would this have been viable?