Do you think, Father William?

johnalison

Visit site
My late entry into the world of sailing this year promised to get even later when I attempted to reeve a couple of new halyards. The spinnaker uphaul went smoothly but the mousing line for the main had jumped off its sheave and was thoroughly jammed, even though it was tight and fine when I left it in the autumn. I contrived a cunning plan and attached a plastic tube alongside the topping-lift with the line through the tube, and hoisted it to the top in the hope that the tube would lift the line and set it onto the roller. It didn’t.
My wife has banned me from going up the mast in the last couple of years, on grounds of my senility, but with the alternative being to have the mast dropped and thus deny our children a fair chunk of their inheritance, I arranged to be hoisted up with the topping lift, and necessarily no safety line. I did arrange to wear a harness and clip a loop round the mast above the cross-trees, keeping my fingers crossed that I didn’t suffer a disabling illness or die up there with no hope of descent, and in the event all went well and the new halyard is in place. I am left with the thought that the world is not a safe place for idiots, and also great thanks to Geoff and his friend.

seivadnehpets

www.schnark.home.blog
My wife tolerated my risk taking, and we were both quite certain that she’d have to pick up the pieces when I either vegetableised myself, or, more likely in my opinion, met my maker.
She laughed when she was diagnosed with advanced inoperable cancer.
Life is for living.
There’s plenty of time for being dead.
Glad you’ve got your boat sorted.

johnalison

Visit site
My wife tolerated my risk taking, and we were both quite certain that she’d have to pick up the pieces when I either vegetableised myself, or, more likely in my opinion, met my maker.
She laughed when she was diagnosed with advanced inoperable cancer.
Life is for living.
There’s plenty of time for being dead.
Glad you’ve got your boat sorted.
I'd like to have met your wife.