Have you ever exceeded the Speed limit in your motor boat

• Yes I have

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • No I havnt

Votes: 30 61.2%

• Total voters

Greg2

Visit site
I always pay attention to harbour and river speed limits and I am also mindful of our wash as our semi-displacement hull doesn’t half create one!
Have I ever broken a speed limit in the boat? Of course I have but it will only have been by a knot or two and it was unlikely to be deliberate and likely corrected if/when I noticed it.

Last edited:

Boathook

Visit site
Where I'm based the speed limit is 4 knots. Doesnt say through water or SOG. A lot of mobos struggle with that as at tickover as they do 5 knots. The big problem is wash though. A lot of people never seem to look behind them to see what's happening. Being a raggie I have had more problems with wash than the waves.

Ian h

Visit site
Before the introduction of the 40 knot limit on Southampton water we used to go flat out for us that was 48 knots , there were only a couple of boats that were faster
But after the introduction of the speed limit we always were just below. Usually around 38 knots, Did hear a boat being spoken to over the radio for speeding above the pier head, doing 12 knots in6 knot zone,
yes 6 knots was around tick over but always tried to stay within the limit, only told off once and that was in Portsmouth harbour, was only doing 8 knots but the wake was massive at that speed, did not notice as too busy keeping look out and keeping eye on speed, accepted was not a good speed and slowed down to reduce wake,

salad

Visit site
I am interested to see how many people stick to speed limits in their motor boats. Raggies need not vote cos they can seldom reach the speed limit :)

Back when I had my rib I broke the speed limit regularly, pretty much like I do in the car and on the motorbike, but I only do it where the limit is pointless and there to save on the cost of signage. I'd be more cautious in places I'd never been before as consequences aren't always obvious.

If I was creating wash and it's affecting other people, wildlife, or causing erosion, then I simply wouldn't do it. I don't really see the counter argument, as if you had a small boat that got swamped or even slightly damaged by the wash from a bigger one, you'd be rightly annoyed, as would I, or probably anyone.

Do unto others...

Robin

Visit site
When we lived on a 47ft semi displacement trawler in the USA east coast ICW they had both speed limit zones and 'no wake' zones, There were strict rules on the ICW for both passing and overtaking involving asking first by VHF. On one trip I had to call a barge, with no idea of it's name (no AIS then) with a crane to ask permission to overtake which we did and they slowed a tad to around 4kts to assist having told us to pass on their '2 toot' side. Shortly after that we did the same to 2 sailboats in company who called us back and complimented us on being so polite in passing them slowly with no wash, however not 10 minutes later and our speed, around 6kts maybe but still exactly the same we encountered Mr Angry in a sailboat motoring the other way who screamed all sorts of obscenities at us for 'our excessive wash'. sometimes you just cannot win. On that boat tickover on it's 2 Cummins engines was 4kts and we had to use the gears to maintain steerage, on one engine it would not steer well at all. In open water we cruised at around 8 kts that is boat speed through water not GPS SOG. Our current steed is a 37 ft semi displacement one with twin 300hp Yanmars, tickover on both equates to 4kts and she steers well (though at low revs the automatic rpm controls keep trying to intervene incorrectly and have to be overridden) and she will also steer reasonably on just one engine. with an occasional nudge from bow or stern thrusters. I do so miss the large rudder and deep keel of a decent sailing boat!

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Where I'm based the speed limit is 4 knots. Doesnt say through water or SOG. A lot of mobos struggle with that as at tickover as they do 5 knots. The big problem is wash though. A lot of people never seem to look behind them to see what's happening. Being a raggie I have had more problems with wash than the waves.
Nautical speed limits are usually speed through water.
I don't think there are any which are SOG.

Aussie farmer

Visit site
I don't always stick to the speed limit in a car , but I take the fine like a man , it's basically a tax for getting there on time when it's needed , it depends on my surroundings obviously I don't do it in built up areas.
I think a boat just up on the plane creates less wake and steers better but usually I poke along where there is speed limits.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Seems like no one so far prepared to tell the truth
Normally I’m a raggie, with a boat that can easily exceed speed limits. Normally we’d motor in places like Chichester, as it's a bit crowded to even think about speeding in a 24ft wide boat. We have been past the speed limit signs under sail at various times, and often faster than 8 kn, along with all the fast dinghies from HISC. As soon as theres room to round up to wind we get the sails down. We’d often not be able to do that outside the harbour.
We also have a fairly fast RIB. I can put my hand on my heart here and say we’ve never been more than a knot over a speed limit, and then only momentarily.

DougH

Visit site
I answered the question in the thread title, then noticed the poll question was effectively opposite. How many others have done this and are the results valid?
There is a ‘Change vote’ button on the form.

I’ve noticed that very few people admitted to exceeding the speed limits in the early stages but suddenly a flurry of folks have been more ‘honest’ and said yes.

There is a real chance you are correct.

Greg2

Visit site
I didn’t notice the poll, which is a little meaningless without context. Saying yes to exceeding a speed limit covers a broad spectrum from those such as myself and others who have commented who seek to comply but may occasionally stray slightly over a limit to others who just ignore the limit and do as they please.

The Q

Visit site
Nautical speed limits are usually speed through water.
I don't think there are any which are SOG.
Not on most of the area formerly covered by the Great Yarmouth Port and Harbour Commisioners now passed to the Broads Authority.

In this mostly tidal area, ALL limits are Speed Over Ground and in MPH not Knots (and always have been), including the river up to the port of Norwich.
The limits vary from 4MPH through towns, villages and Moorings.. To 6 MPH through open rivers, there is one no limit area of Breydon water and a couple of 1/4 mile stretches where at certain time you can go any speed between mark points for the purposes of calibrating your Speedo.
Breydon water though you can still get done for excessive wash, as passing broads hire boats are not kitted out for rocking and rolling, hot kettles of water falling off the stove are dangerous..

Sailing boats while under sail only, do not have to comply with the limits..

As for the voting I haven't voted.. Because I've driven the rescue boat many times, and when on a rescue they turn a blind they to breaking limits, although there is no exception in the actual Broads Bylaws.. This gives a problem on a river race with the tide, the sailing boats can easily exceed the 6mph limit for short periods, but I'm supposed to keep the boats in sight.. I generally compromise by going as fast as the slowest sailing boat.

I've often had to remind tourists they are speeding, the usual comment I make is 4MPH is walking pace on the bank. most hire boats use a calibrated tacho with extra marks for Speed.. but when you've got a 3mph tide with you you are way over the limit..
Also the excessive wash rule comes in when against the tide at 4mph SOG meaning 7 mph over the water that produces a huge wash in a 20ft heavily loaded motor day boat.

Just at the moment due to the low rainfall we've been getting very strong (for us) incoming tides, and because we are transitioning from High air pressure to low air pressure at the moment the southern North sea level rises, so yesterday we had a particularly strong incoming tide which was for something like 8 hours...

ari

Visit site
I didn’t notice the poll, which is a little meaningless without context. Saying yes to exceeding a speed limit covers a broad spectrum from those such as myself and others who have commented who seek to comply but may occasionally stray slightly over a limit to others who just ignore the limit and do as they please.

Indeed!

This is basically a vain attempt to justify very poor seamanship with a 'but Sir, the other boys do it too' excuse. Not even the basic fibre to admit he's wrong. Very telling.

Momac

Visit site
On the river the speed restriction is 6mph upstream and 8mph downstream
I may do 6kts upstream sometimes such as just now when the flows are slow due to low water instead of 6mph but really that's too fast if passing moored boats so I slow down for them.
I am not aware of anyone checking boat speeds but its very rare to see boats going excessively fast . Usually the speed merchants who cause annoyance to moored boats are in dinghies /ribs .

alancollins

Visit site
I got a ticking off from the Lymington HM last week who accused me of making too much wash. I entered the river at 5.5 knots ( the limit is 6k) and reduced speed to 4k going up-river. My boat does 3.6 knots at tickover so I am not sure what more I could have done. My 7.6 metre semi displacement boat has a very clean wake, but I guess he was concerned on behalf of elderly paddle boarders. Perhaps I should just stay away.

Robin

Visit site
I got a ticking off from the Lymington HM last week who accused me of making too much wash. I entered the river at 5.5 knots ( the limit is 6k) and reduced speed to 4k going up-river. My boat does 3.6 knots at tickover so I am not sure what more I could have done. My 7.6 metre semi displacement boat has a very clean wake, but I guess he was concerned on behalf of elderly paddle boarders. Perhaps I should just stay away.

As others have already said the gear sticks are your friend. Wash in Lymington damages the shallow banks, causes annoyance to the many moored and maybe rafted up boats. We have had a saucepan of scalding hot water slide off the stove on the Dan Bran pontoonby a wash from an inconsiderate RIB, and some of the charter fishing and dive boats out of LYH can be a real PITA. wash wise. elderly paddle boarders youngsters in optimist dinghies etc deserve respect also. I have only ever found Lymington harbour staff both considerate and knowledgable rather than officious.