Do you sail between Torquay and Lands End?`

G

Which Pilot(s) would yo regard as essential?

Also, what is the local wisdom for making a passage along this stretch of coast? Are there any interesting tidal streams inshiore which give the knowledgeable sailor an advantage (in a race)?

Any tips appreciated!

G

Do I detect a Yachting monthly Triangle coming up?

You'll ask some interesting questions the tides between a Bolt tail and five miles east of the Lizard are straightforward! For the rest deathly local knowledge and a very high scale tide Atlas. For instance the tide down Skipton stands runs the South for about 22 hours a every day, and there are some interesting back Eddies in the inshore passage past the Lizard.

:)-{)>

G

No, I\'m just a cruising sailor

...planning on being in a hurry to get West on Sunday June 16th!

Are you doing the race, Peter? I am at a slight disadvantage because (a) I've never raced and (b) I've never sailed anywhere along the South coast. Hence the quest for knowledge!

cgull

Visit site
I picked up a Tidal Stream Atlas at boatshow by Mike Fennessy includes large scale of Dodman to Fowey(of interest to me) and Plymouth Sound,compiled with a lot of local fishermens info. Havent used it yet but it looks good. Contact given in book http:/www.coastres.co.uk

G

You cannot beat the Admiralty Channel Pilot - especially if you intend visiting anywhere along the coast. Mike Fennessy's Tidal Stream Atlas for the South Coast of Devon and its twin brother for the South Coast of Cornwall are very useful indeed. Mike used to be a canoeist so he was always mindfull of the tidal streams. He produced these two books in conjunction with the principal of a RYA practical cruising school which used to be in Newton Ferrers. If I can be of any further help send me a private mail.

G

Are you visiting places along the way or just passing through?

For a cruise along this coast, I would use the Yachting Monthly book West Country Cruising by Mark Fishwick. The local tidal atlas's others have recommended are also good.

On the OTOH, if you are just passing without stopping, the Macmillan Reeds almanac has enough info for passage planning, refuge ports etc.

Richard

tonyleigh

Visit site
Re: No, I\'m just a cruising sailor

The Mark Fishwick book is almost definitely the best starter - Exe to Scilly covered - for cruising as already mentioned.

G

Cruising Association Pilot is very good, Fishwick book also gives other info as well.

Pete

summerwind

Visit site
Stay well off from the Lizard in anything of a blow, especially with wind over tide. Anything closer in than five miles will give you a thorough dusting.

Best wishes

G

Cruising round THEN racing

Pottering from June 1st to 15th then the Triangle Race ...