Do you older guys (40+) find you can't do it all any more?

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Moving from a swinging mooring to a marina berth will probably buy you some extra years.

Still a very popular move. Swinging moorings continue to fall although it is probably due to a number of reasons.

Loopy

Visit site
I feel like I am getting to the point where singlehanding is a struggle, perhaps I should get some strong, young crew? Or windvane self-steering? (I dislike autohelms)

Not yet. That having been said, we're currently looking for our next boat and this does play a role in my thought process.

Norman_E

Visit site
My insurance specified that a working autopilot was required for singlehanding, which was also restricted to daylight hours. I continued to singlehand my 45 foot boat until covid prevented me getting to her. I was 73 and would still be able to do it now if I had not sold the boat. Its largely a question of planning and having practiced and safe techniques for everything from tacks and gybes to docking the boat. My boat was probably not the most convenient for single handed sailing, with its primary winches well away from the helm, but it was still doable. A good twin line reefing setup was essential with a big fully battened mainsail.

SailingEd

Visit site
I can engage my Aeries in about 60 seconds & regularly do so as soon as my sails are hoisted. I prefer it to my autopilot ( I am on my 7Th as they are so unreliable)
As for age - I am 75 Feb next year & for the past 20 year 95% of my sailing has been single handed. Over the last 15 years I usually do 2000m PA, although due to the pandemic I only managed 650miles in each of the last 2 years. If the situation does not improve for next year, then I shall do my 3rd SH round UK trip instead of cross channel to the CIs etc. I do not intend to stop sailing my 31 ft yacht for a while yet. However, I think more carefully about the weather I am going out in. I tend not to do many single legs greater than 100 miles anymore ( although round UK will involve 6) & I sail a day & rest a day, always stopping at marinas rather than anchoring. I ensure that i am fully rested before continuing a journey

I've not had the same experience with autohelms to be honest, my previous boat had a simple raymarine belt & small motor on the helm, the only annoyance was its noise in operation, it was built in 2006 and still served me well for many miles trouble free, now i have an actuator version on the new boat which is silent, and this one is new, but they're pretty simple in operation so even if it needs fixing im sure i can sort it, but then im an engineer and from a generation of electronics etc so its what im used to.

i wouldn't be without an autohelm for getting sails up, putting fenders out, and sorting lines out etc. it really is a huge help, once sailing then i can start thinking about getting the hydrovane set if i wish, works for me anyway and its what I'm using for the majority of my miles.

Neeves

Visit site
This must be a record, 68 posts for the first thread for a new OP, his first thread and first post.

We need more new members - its not that sailing is becoming too onerous but we are incapable of producing productive posts! The man deserves a beer! (or a decent bottle of red).

Pah!

I'm off to conjure up a new thread on anchors

:)

Jonathan

dansaskip

seabear.uk
Yes a wind vane self steering releases you from the tyranny of the the tiller. It takes me two secs to set or adjust mine so I even use it if tacking up a river. There is an old saying about use it or lose it and I believe this applies, pulling on those winches, hoisting the sails, rowing out to your boat on a mooring, climbing the mast - use those muscles to keep them in trim.
I must confess I did fit an electric windlass a while back after years of hoisting up the anchor by hand. As to age, well I sailed single handed across the Pacific at the spritely age of 69. Still going strong.

Concerto

Visit site
This must be a record, 68 posts for the first thread for a new OP, his first thread and first post.

We need more new members - its not that sailing is becoming too onerous but we are incapable of producing productive posts! The man deserves a beer! (or a decent bottle of red).

Pah!

I'm off to conjure up a new thread on anchors

:)

Jonathan
The OP may just be a troll as after nearly 24 hours, he has not made any further comment, in fact not even returned to the forum. Sorry Jonathan, he does not deserve a beer, even a virtual one.

I will do a lot to encourage people into sailing and maintaing their boats, but reality means that most people seem to either start to sail or return to sailing from about 50 years old. The RYA does a lot to encourage youngsters into dinghy sailing, but it is a big leap into yachts. Inbetween life gets in the way in the form of getting married, having a mortgage, having children and not forgetting work. Most of the younger sailors tend to come from sailing families, as though they were born with salt water in their veins.

The past couple of years have certainly increased the number of people active in boats, and many other sports, as Covid has closed travel abroad. The prices of secondhand boats has soared and in many places marinas are starting waiting lists for berths. Most boatyards are very busy with work and jobs are also being delayed due to a supply problem with parts and materials.

boatmike

Visit site
I feel like I am getting to the point where singlehanding is a struggle, perhaps I should get some strong, young crew? Or windvane self-steering? (I dislike autohelms)
That made I larf!!!! I am only 79 and have just bought a Moody 35 cos I thought I should downsize a bit. What doesn't kill yer does yer good........

SailingEd

Visit site
Just read the OP post and it becomes self evident this is a troll's thread, or have you just been sucked in by all the other genuine posts. The OP still has not returned to the forum.
be that as it may, how exactly was your comment welcoming or encouraging to any new sailors?

imagine a thread where all the OP got was positive tips and encouragement on how to manage a boat singlehanded, that would be the very definition of doing a lot to encourage people into sailing.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Just read the OP post and it becomes self evident this is a troll's thread, or have you just been sucked in by all the other genuine posts. The OP still has not returned to the forum.

Your posts are unnecessarily rude and do nothing to encourage anyone new to sailing, or to this forum.

Perhaps the OP has a job, or a life, he's not under any obligation to return within a time frame determined by you. After reading your posts he probably won't return at all, regardless of whether or not it was a trolling post (just because his post doesn't conform to some criteria that you think it should, it doesn't automatically make him a troll).

Besides, calling someone a troll is in breach of the forum rules.

awol

Visit site
Does it matter if the Op b..gers off. It has introduced a discussion which has raised some interest to a few. Is that not a good thing & some of a point of a forum?
I'm not so sure it's raised interest. What it has shown is this forum is populated by a lot of coffin dodging old farts ......... and long may they keep dodging.