Do people bother with liferafts for coastal & cross Channel?

laika

Visit site
You carry a liferaft to make you feel better, statistically your chances of using it are lower than winning the lottery.

Yes, and perhaps more importantly I carry a liferaft to make the crew feel better. Most of us here know how unlikely it is for us to need a liferaft and the lessons that have been learned from others about the safest place being the yacht, even if badly damaged. Less experienced crew (as mine often are) might not be so aware of that. Having good safety kit reassures people. People don't have such a good time if they don't trust the skipper and trust the boat (even if both are actually perfectly sound). The "safest place is the boat" thing is most convincing if you actually have a liferaft to get the "step *up* into the liferaft" phrase into the safety briefing.

armchairsailor

Visit site
I assume you think you can swim that far :) :) :rolleyes:

I have a life raft and hope I never get to see whats inside of the case. IMHO if your out at sea you should have a life raft. I will however say that I cant remember the last time I wore a Lifejacket :confused:

Tom

PS Im an ex long distance swimmer.

Maybe I should have said that we towed our tender... Most of the time! :)

Seajet

Visit site
Solent Boat,

well I've crossed the Channel 24 times and still seem to be here.

In the good old days of the 1970's - 80's we used to rely on a half inflated dinghy on the deck, which was the French regulation then; I'd still go for this personally - with a high speed inflator for the rest of the tender and a good battery - though I'm sure someone from the RNLI / RSPB/ ROSPA / League Against Cruel Sports will be along any second to say otherwise :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ripster

Visit site
We carry one, poised and ready to launch on the rail. We also have a dinghy (kept deflated though), life-jackets on all the time we sail, epirb, vhf x3 etc etc. Our view was that in the very unlikely event something dreadful did happen we want every chance and every tool there is to stay alive. We sail manly coastal but like others do venture offshore now and again. We thought about the dinghy instead of LR but then quickly realised that trying to stay in it in any sort of breaking sea has got to be very difficult. If we are really honest I guess it's more peace of mind than anything else.

Poignard

Visit site
Do people bother with liferafts for coastal & cross Channel?

I don't but if I was forever reading about yachts sinking and their crews drowning then I would think again.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
If you have any first class passengers they will expect you to have one.

As owner, chief stoker, helmsman and pensioner I will probably go down with my Adnams.

Coaster

Visit site
We thought a lot about this subject when buying our current boat four years ago and decided against carrying a liferaft. To date our longest single passage has been Milford Haven to Kinsale, about 130M. We felt the equivalent cost of a liferaft was better spent on other safety equipment. Ours includes good lifejackets with PLBs, radar, two separate GPS nav systems, radar and AIS. We also carry an inflated tender, inverted on the foredeck and ready for rapid launching.

I've asked for examples of the deployment of liferafts having being essential for the crews of well found boats sailing British and Irish waters in good weather but, as far as I can remember, there have been none.

One factor I was particularly influenced by is the difficulty of personally checking the proper functioning of a liferaft, except of course by using it. I prefer to have kit that I'm properly familiar with, so far as that's possible.

However I strongly believe in people making informed individual decisions on this subject and would certainly not criticise someone who considers a liferaft necessary.

Hadenough

Visit site
Very good point about the functionality of a pre-packed life raft. Certainly for coastal I am more confident that my ready to use RIB in davits will give me more options than a "pop the liferaft, hope it works" alternative. As to the comments about the "shelter" factor of a liferaft. Coastal, I would prefer to be in a controllable dinghy, tender, inflatable, RIB, than a liferaft and before you ask that is with experience of both. Offshore, certainly you need the "hunker down" capability of liferaft.

Last edited:

capnsensible

Visit site
I sail for a living. Every yacht Im on will have an in date liferaft. You can doing rocks outside the marina or hit a container in mid Atlantic.....

result is the same. If you want, cancel your insurance on the car, house, travel, whatever, Im gonna go with liferaft, lifejackets, fire extinguishers, first aid kit, yada yada.!!

John 32i

Visit site
We only do river/coastal sailing so have never bothered with a life raft, however we have been offered one for £250 but as you would expect it needs a service.....I don't know how much a service is but guess that this means its probably not a bargain?!

nortada

Visit site
'cos I don't.

Admittedly, 90% of my sailing is within the Solent but I do stray from time to time - sometimes across to France.

In fact, I was chatting about going this summer and the person I was chatting with was amazed that I had never had a liferaft on board. Am I exceedingly reckless? I work on the basis that I've got a tender in the event that I ever need to abandon ship and that'll I'll do all in my power to ever arrive at such an eventuality.
I do! Fire on a yacht at sea is a great decider.