DIY wind genny versus compo culture

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I was interested in, and saddened by, the response to an enquiry in the Readers Forum of September PBO. The enquirer asked whether it was feasible to make a wind generator from an alternator using a car cooling fan as the drive. The answer in brief was no, because you need a bigger fan and a controller. The really sad bit was the advice not to even try because you might make something that could injure someone and render yourself liable to a damages suit!

There are several resources out on the web, many of them US based, that advise on home-brew wind-power. How sad that PRACTICAL Boat Owner ducks out, and even sadder to invoke the claimant culture. Perhaps one of our posters with legal experience can tell us whatever became of the legal precept "volente non fit injuria" which literally means "the willing cannot be injured" (in the legal sense anyway.) If this no longer applies then we all need to get our crews and guests to sign waiver forms and/or put up lots of warning signs. Where can I get one made to attach to my boathook reading "WARNING: Severe pain or injury is possible if you shove this up your *rse."

<hr width=100% size=1>Ken Johnson

graham

Visit site
Fully agree with you .Im waiting to see thefirst sign on a harbour wall saying falling in the oggin may cause drowning.

A legal aquaintance of mine informs me that" indemnity forms"ie bits of paper saying sail on my boat at your own risk ,dont stand up legally anyway.

There are still a few die hard pockets of genuine DIY type boat clubs about but they are becoming rare.

A club I used to be in had several converted lifeboats powerede by a variety of petrol and diesel engines with homemade cooling systems steering systems made of car parts and wire.Wipers and complete windscreens from scrap cars .
One fine vessel had a Lorry cab for a wheelhouse complete with seats steering wheel and wipers ,all fully functional.Handbrake was a bit dicky though.

If one had a problem his mate would tow him back from the fishing grounds ,I cant remember a lifeboat call out ever happening.

I know you only remember the good bits as years go by but who wants to remember a marina full of AWBs moaning that the shower in cubicle 8 runs cold .

<hr width=100% size=1>

Rohorn

Visit site
Hi....this is a familiar thread, and so far I've not responded, but.....
For some time, years even, my pleasure on the arrival of the latest PBO is mitigated knowing that I'm going to be depressed as hell after reading a litany of "granny" rules and regs and recommendations, frequently commercially inspired.
Even the new editor who was rejoicing over a picture showing people brilliantly happy and NOT wearing life jackets has clearly been "influenced" to retract such an alien spectre.
OK, they've got to set a good example, (and support the safety business) but honestly, if a situation is such that I start to think about getting the lifejackets out of their 12 year old still-sealed packages, personally I'll grab my wet-suit top instead, so I can swim, stay warm, perhaps solve the problem, help somebody in distress, etc etc, which a b...dy lifejacket would prevent me doing.
Sorry about that, but one has a choice and in the sailing conditions I usually experience, that's mine.
Cheers...R

<hr width=100% size=1>

William_H

Visit site
The litigation culture is indeed very depressing. Some years back here in West Oz a guy dived into water at a popular swimming hole hit a reef and became parapalegic. The area was in fact a hole in a reef. He successfully sued the government for inadequate signs of danger. We currently have another case where children were sheltering from the rain in a cave under a cliff which colapsed. Very tragic with multiple deaths but parents are sueing government for inadequate signs or of not making the cliff safe. It seems to mer that litgants go for government or those with a good insurance ploicy. I imagine PBO are in this category. This then gives the insurance company the right to dictate the "be carefull" policy which is a pity however....
When ever you deal witha large number of people you just increase your chances of an idiot doing something stupid and getting hurt. The victims always look for someone to blame after ther event so I am not surprised at the direction that PBO has gone.
Regarding wind generators the electric fan of a car has a permanent magnet motor which would be an excellent generator however the blades would need more pitch and the voltage out may be too low. I have also thought of a battery electric drill whose gear ratio would give lots of revs and volts out of the motor for low fan speed would be worth experimenting with. Yet another thought is an old 12v tire compressor has a PM motor and a reduction gear box all of which would be better than a car alternator. regards will

<hr width=100% size=1>

[3889]

Visit site
William
I remember when visiting Sydney reading about a similar diving accident where the city council was sued. I was impressed that the judge expressed great sympathy with the injured man but said that the city council could not be held responsible .The judge recommnded a fund be established to help people with serious injuries where no one was to blame and this seemed a good idea to me.
Andy

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardandtracy

Visit site
I'd go for a DIY wind Genny any time. Stick a notice on the blade 'May hurt when spinning'.

Use of a car alternator isn't good. Want a permanent magnet alternator & also want to tailor output voltage to likely available power. I can highly recommend the book 'Brakedrum windmill plans' by Hugh Piggot. There's enough info in it to show how to do it for almost any size you want (not just the 10ft dia blades he suggests). These books are sold via http://www.cat.org.uk/. The book's quite pricy for what you seem to get (number of pages etc), but it contains almost priceless info.

Regards

Richard.

<hr width=100% size=1>