Diver / Thames

G

I need to change my zinc anodes formMag ones as the boats on Thames for a while, is it possible
to have them changed by a diver, (got to be cheaper than PH's lift out charges) and if so
does anyone know of a diver Thames region?

cneighbour

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Diver should be able to do the job provided water visibility makes it possible. Once tried to change cutter bearings on the peaty water of the Norfolk Broads, had my nose right up to the shaft and still couldn't see a thing. Thames water usually easier but in the winter higher flows might make it murky.

Associate Publisher ybw.com websites kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Should really be able to change them with snorkelling equipment, could be easier to find someone to help. I'd do it for you but I live a fair distance away!!

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Just thought, a warning...

Sorry, brain not totally in gear before. Potential problem with changing anodes in the water if you disturbed an anode stud...could get a bit exciting if you move one and might leave you with a leak which could prove a real tease to solve.

Never moved one in the water, but the last time I changed anodes had two studs that needed to be sorted, one that was corroded and another that moved as we took it off. Can of course keep a spanner on the inside part of fitting but not always to get at without treble joints.

Associate Publisher ybw.com websites kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Regardles of friends. Hia! Tolla. And Long Underpants. Strongly advise against it. Finger in holes, whilst removing bolts maybe ok for those in Afganistan and others. But not recomended on this forum. We have standards to uphold!
and must keep to sencible advise.

Go do it. Lets come and watch. Can I bring the vid cam!!!
But if no bolts err. Ok then.

Haydn

byron

RIP
Visit site
Ask in the Club House, they must know someone. If not send me a P.M. and I will dig out the number of someone that knows someone that might do it for you.

ô¿ô

hlb

RIP
Visit site
But you cant do that Byron, we are sopposed to have sence on here! You know it makes sence.
You just cant keep taking bolts out of bottom of boat with out disaster. Or can you. Am I missing some thing Kim! And wheres my Bloody Ship!!!!!

Haydn

G

Re: Dry out

You could always 'dry-out' below Teddington and do it. Those in-the-know do it all the time for a quick scrub or fix

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: Dry out

The Crown, Ocean and Continental hulls do not lend themselves kindly to drying out and one could end up with bent shafts unless one is using a proper drying out rack.

ô¿ô

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Haydn' you've got the wrong end of Byrons stick. Anodes are on studs which are secured by nuts inside and outside the hull, then the anode and a further set of nuts. I've changed mine with boat oin the water, no problems (apart from dropping spanner and one of the nuts!!)

markc

Visit site
Hi Clive

If you go into the club and ask for a chap called James (he's a cab driver and has a Jack Russel that runs round after him!) - he may be able to do it, have a bottle of scotch handy

Mark

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Oh. Thanks John. I thought they were all swiming around with fingers up holes, whilst some one ordered new bolts.
Reminds me of the story of the Dutch guy with his finger in a dyke. It was all OK till her husband came round the corner!

Haydn