Disaster…Red Wine Spilt

ctva

Visit site
Apart from losing a small (thankfully) amount of red wine, it spilt on the cockpit floor. Despite valiant efforts to sook it up clean it with various cleaners, there is a faint dark stain where the wine was.

What works?

Thanks in the hopes of getting back in the FO’s good books!

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
Apart from losing a small (thankfully) amount of red wine, it spilt on the cockpit floor. Despite valiant efforts to sook it up clean it with various cleaners, there is a faint dark stain where the wine was.

What works?

Is the floor GRP? I had the same problem a few years ago when I foolishly let my mother aboard and she immediately tipped a bottle of red all over the bridge deck and cockpit floor. Washing with water left a similar grey stain but a quick rub with a mild cutting compound completely removed it.

johnalison

Visit site
This happened on our then brand new boat on our way home from Sweden. We met an English couple also on their way home, but unfortunately in order to be with their son who had had a nasty accident. We did entertain them in our cockpit tent and at one point he upended a bottle of red wine on our teak seats and cockpit sole with a fine imitation of Jackson Pollock. The stain had washed away in a month or two.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site

What works?

Try some of that "Vanish" stuff they advertise for clothes.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
All ( positive) responses are correct the oxalic acid and Vanish bleach will chemically remove the stain there is a danger that it will leave a slightly lighter patch particularly on teak that will take time to weather in to its surroundings. Also in time sunlight if you get any will gradually oxidise and bleach the stain to the degree that it matches the surrounding material.

johnalison

Visit site
All ( positive) responses are correct the oxalic acid and Vanish bleach will chemically remove the stain there is a danger that it will leave a slightly lighter patch particularly on teak that will take time to weather in to its surroundings. Also in time sunlight if you get any will gradually oxidise and bleach the stain to the degree that it matches the surrounding material.
If you are implying that negative responses are incorrect, I would contest that. It is far better to nothing other than wash off with water, salting or otherwise. The only things that commonly leave marks for a long time are crisps, whose greasy marks take a long time to go.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
If you are implying that negative responses are incorrect, I would contest that. It is far better to nothing other than wash off with water, salting or otherwise. The only things that commonly leave marks for a long time are crisps, whose greasy marks take a long time to go.
As I said leaving it alone will also achieve the desired result and that is a positive action. The negative ones if you like are the ones offering no specific action perhaps just a comment.