Direct Sails

hunter323

Visit site
I have received a very competitive quote from direct sails.com - division of Cliffside Sails They are Hong Kong based I believe. I am a bit reticent about dealing with them in view of the distance and any difficulties if they dont fit. I am assured that they do make sails for some UK lofts so any minor adjustments could be done in the UK Richard Bulgin is my contact.
I am just asking if anybody has dealt with them and if so was the transaction satisfactory
Many thanks

Tranona

Visit site
I have received a very competitive quote from direct sails.com - division of Cliffside Sails They are Hong Kong based I believe. I am a bit reticent about dealing with them in view of the distance and any difficulties if they dont fit. I am assured that they do make sails for some UK lofts so any minor adjustments could be done in the UK Richard Bulgin is my contact.
I am just asking if anybody has dealt with them and if so was the transaction satisfactory
Many thanks
I have had quotes from Richard - the latest just yesterday. The previous quotes I had for a 26sqm furling mainsail were beaten on basic cloth by 2 UK sailmakers and on premium cloth, particularly Vectran substantially cheaper. An extra 10% discount on the basic brought the price under the UK prices but I opted for Vectran.

The latest quote I have is for a smaller conventional battened mainsail of 19sqm with his 20% Christmas offer is cheaper than UK quotes with the basic cloth and about the same for a premium cloth.

The fitting bit I guess is unlikely - they make lots of sails for customers round the world. My preference for buying in the UK is because even if it is a bit more expensive I know exactly who designed and made it and it gives employment to local people. However if you are on a limited budget the couple of hundred you might save on a sail this size might be worth having and I doubt you would notice much difference in performance like for like in cloth and cut.

Concerto

Visit site
Tranona is correct that the will be little difference in performance as almost all sailmaker use the same program for the design shape. However I would be asking about exactly how the sails are made.

One of the biggest differences is with furling headsails. In cheaper sails you will have the sacrificial strip as part of the 4 ply leech, whereas in more expensive sails they use a 6 ply leech. When it is time to replace the sacrificial the difference becomes clear. The 4 ply leech has to be completely unpicked and remade, by comparison the 6 ply has just the sacrificial strip removed and replaced. The cost difference is usually more than paying for the 6 ply originally.

Tranona

Visit site
The quoted price you have received may be a saving, but if your sails were caught by HMRC on their way into the UK would the addition of (1) import duty, and; (2) 20% VAT make them less competitive?
They are quite clear that VAT is payable through their shipper. They quote ex China plus VAT plus a fixed shipping cost. Not difficult to add them up to get a price comparison.

Bobc

Visit site
I had quite a competitive quote a few months ago from a company called South East Asia Sails in Thailand.

You can get an idea of prices from here for mainsails and here for genoas

Run by Mike Tasker and Robert Tasker, they used to manufacture in Thailand for Rolly Tasker sails.

Last edited:

Chimay

Visit site
Hi - I also have a good quote from Direct Sails, and seem to be getting good service.
Did you end up going with them ?
If so, how did they go ?

I have received a very competitive quote from direct sails.com - division of Cliffside Sails They are Hong Kong based I believe. I am a bit reticent about dealing with them in view of the distance and any difficulties if they dont fit. I am assured that they do make sails for some UK lofts so any minor adjustments could be done in the UK Richard Bulgin is my contact. I am just asking if anybody has dealt with them and if so was the transaction satisfactory Many thanks

Minerva

Visit site
Part of me would quite like to buy a set of sails in the Far East.

Only I'd prefer if the set up was to buy a set of sails in the UK, sail the boat over a period of 3-4 years out to Thailand via a plethora of tropical atols then replace the sails before coming home via Chagos Keeling Archipelago, & the The Seychelles!

Well, a man can dream!