Direct replacement for Raymarine E120 MFD?

• Thread starter Deleted User YDKXO
  • Start date
D

Deleted User YDKXO

The E120 MFD on my flybridge is beginning to deteriorate. The screen seems to be delaminating in one corner and the alarm sounds no longer work. Whilst it still operates, it is getting slower and slower to respond to button commands and to redraw. I visited the Raymarine stand at SIBS to discuss a replacement and disappointingly they told me that I could fit one of their newer models but I would have to buy 2 new MFD screens because the new one wouldn't talk to the old one at the lower helm and I'd have to buy a new radar scanner as well

If I don't want to do that (and I don't), I guess my other options are to return the failing E120 MFD to Raymarine in the UK for repair but I assume that might take weeks or months or, alternatively, buy a refurbed secondhand unit from eBay

Anyone got any alternative ideas? Anyone recommend a supplier of refurbed units?

Andrew M

Visit site
I had one of our E120s repaired by Raymarine last winter, not the same fault as yours so I don't know if the slow responses can be fixed or not, but Raymarine themselves were really quite good and quick with their turnaround of the unit, I think they operate on a 5 day turnaround once the unit is received. I'd give them a ring and see what they say, I think they've done enough of those units to know what issues they exhibit and if they can be repaired.

Andy

[2068]

Visit site
Your cheapest option is probably a flat rate repair from Raymarine.
They turn stuff around pretty quickly, usually within a week or so.
Hopefully your E120 doesn't fall foul of the "older than 10 years" rule, but it's worth a phone call first.

Failing that, isn't this an opportunity for a bit of Man Maths?
"Oh dear, this display isn't working. I need a couple of latest generation eSeries and a Quantum Radar to fix it"...
Main advantage I can see of the newer stuff is that scrolling around is much faster, and the menus are simpler.

Raymarine UK Ltd
Marine House
Cartwright Drive
Fareham
PO15 5RJ
United Kingdom
+44 (0)1329 246 932

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
My 12 yo Furuno MFD at the upper helm is starting to fail as well, I now have two permanent black blobs on the screen, and they're slowly expanding. I'm considering just buying a new standalone touch screen for the upper helm, and not integrating it with anything. Here's my reasoning:

I only use radar in bad weather, on long crossings, or at night, when I'll be at the lower helm, which will continue to use the existing MFD and analogue radar scanner.
99% of my cruising time is spent at the upper helm in good weather and daylight, where i'd get the benefits of the higher res touch screen
The VHF and autohelm are linked to the lower helm MFD, so will continue to get their positional info as currently
I don't plot routes, I only use the auto heading function on the autohelm, which doesn't need MFD input, but I could always input the route at the lower helm anyway
Some (I think most?) new MFD's have integral GPS aerial, so are self contained, just add power.
With two separate systems and charts, I have yet another back-up, although to be honest I already have so many on phones, ipads, laptop, and handhelds that it's a bit irrelevant.
I always have the option to upgrade the rest of the system later if I choose

A new MFD that I can easily install myself is £2-3k, whereas a full upgrade with two MFD's, new scanner, and all the connections for the autohelm and VHF mean a pro install that will probably be £12-15k in total. I'm struggling to justify that because nav in the western med is so easy, it's mostly line of sight with few hazards and fog is extremely rare.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I'm struggling to justify that because nav in the western med is so easy, it's mostly line of sight with few hazards and fog is extremely rare.
Yup agreed which is why I can't justify the spend either. The E120 is actually not a bad unit and perfectly usable for Med boating. You don't need all the bells and whistles of a modern MFD and apart from that I hate touchscreens. Having said that I like having the fly MFD integrated to the lower MFD so I can choose which helm to use and know I have the same route in both MFDs and the folding fly helm on a Ferretti doesn't lend itself to a stand alone unit

aquapower

Visit site
A friend had 3 for sale when he upgraded a few months back, think there's a radar as well.

Let me know if you are interested and can pass on his number.

Mr Googler

Visit site
The service centre in Dorset cover raymarine . I spoke to them regards Cetrek and although they couldn't help, they really knew their stuff and where very upfront about things.

Perhaps others have first hand experience?

maby

Visit site
You will probably also find that there are significant differences in size between your E120 and the current equivalent. We are in the process of replacing our Raymarine E90W with the latest generation and we are having to install plates over the cut-outs because the new gear tends to be significantly smaller than the equivalent from the previous generation.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
You will probably also find that there are significant differences in size between your E120 and the current equivalent. We are in the process of replacing our Raymarine E90W with the latest generation and we are having to install plates over the cut-outs because the new gear tends to be significantly smaller than the equivalent from the previous generation.

I've got an E125 for which Raymarine offer a bezel to fit the previous classic models - so with this, it was a direct swap for my previous C120 Classic.

aquapower

Visit site

See here www.raymarine.com/view/?id=2863#matrix

pan

Visit site
I have a couple of E120's from when we upgraded to the Garmin kit last year, they are in Mallorca but could be shipped, full working order and condition... PM me if interested (I have photos)