"DIPSTICK" self confessed

G

\"DIPSTICK\" self confessed

Having had a recent problem with lack of power Yanmar yse8hp, I can now confess to being the biggest dipstick around.

Whilst rushing to get the boat in the water, my wife asked me "how much oil shall I put in the gearbox", being as mechcanical as a woodworm I said oh ! fill it up. So doing as she was told (as they always do ) she did.

Launch day, sat on beach ,incoming tide, floated, start engine, into gear, away to go. Full throttle, only half power??.

Listened to many engineers, must be air in fuel line, must be the injector, etc etc.
took injector out, 30miles to deisel engineer, yes its not working properly, order new one, takes three days off holiday, still not left the bloody mooring.

Re-fit injector, bleed system, change filters, clean tank etc, still half power or even less. Good mate comes aboard (forum reader "NOMAD") has another look at the problem.

Start her up he says, put it in gear, dons his yellow marigolds and holds the shaft (out of gear all is fine) he actually stopped the shaft turning on half throttle. Gearbox he says with commitment, lets have a look at the oil situation, cap off its well over the fill mark. oh dear he says no wonder its slipping, the box was flooded with almost a gallon of oil, anyway cut a longer story short emptied out, re-filled with one and a half pints of oil, bingo bettergrip etc.

So thank you Nomad I owe you big time, so for all those as mechanical as woodworms, learn from my errors

G

What\'s the lesson???

To only fill gearboxes as instructed by manufacturer or to not let wife near gearbox??

Best regards :eek:)

Ian D

G

Re: \"DIPSTICK\" self confessed

Good posting Padsco!! how often does your wife fill your Jameson Glass!!!!

cliffdale

Visit site
Re: What\'s the lesson???

You lucky sod having a wife prepared to oil up a gear box!!!

I bet she cleans out the heads, scrubs the bilges clean and irons the sails too.

CD

G

You got it in one cliff!!! but I have to do the cooking, next weekend she,s going to paint the engine room, Im going to play with my new GPS. he! He!

G

Usually as often as she fills her own, but I do ocassionally miss the odd one or two.

G

Thank you fellow gnomad!!.You made me blush. Lets hope in future you EXPLAIN to the first mate what to do. See you in a week or so .

johnt

Visit site

I would have thought that the lesson was that most of the "ADVICE" on here is complete rubbish, and given by people who dont know what they are talking about!

well done Nomad :)..nicely sorted

cliffdale

Visit site

Would you like to try a swap next weekend?

My misses is like a venomous snake. Handle with extreme care and you get to live. Give her a paint brush and your dead mate.

G

If its not the intrepid "JOHN T", beats checking the prop eh!!!!
If you cant be constructive instead of critical all the time, try listening to the "archers" or something equally as monotinous.

new paragraph!!!

G

GNOMADS

Roger that Gnomad, but you know what its like, they are always right. But in this case!!!!!!!!!

How the weekend go? sails ok?good weather eh!

G

No John, the wife does all that, as mentioned in the confession.

Other threads that may be of interest