dinghy sailing AND campsite?

gomez

Visit site
Anyone know of a really good location (preferably in the south of England) that has a campsite next to
a lake or sheltered water where we can launch a small dinghy from a trailer? A friendly family site is what
we need. Any recommendations? The children would like to be not too far from the seaside too, is this
all asking a bit much though?

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
I am afraid that I don't know to much about campsites but you can
try Exemouth, Teignmouth, or Dartmouth. All have sailing facilities are very sheltered and have access to local beaches, and there are plenty of camp sites around locally.
There must be a directory of suitable camp sites on the WEB somewhere.

I would suggest you try the following to get some info.

http://www.east-devon.gov.uk/eastdevon/guide.htm
http://www.beautiful-devon.co.uk/

Also have a look at the new Yachting Monthly ( August ) there is a write up on Dorset anchorages and even a pic of a trailer launching.

Best of luck

poter.

cynthia

Visit site
Not south, but Keswick (Camping Club Site) is directly onto Derwentwater.
Also one in Wales, top side of Lleyn peninsula at Gyrn Goch / Clynnog Fawr. Think you may have to be a cc member for this one too!

VicS

Visit site
I suggest you join the Camping and Caravanning Club and its Boating Group. You'll get a big sites list from the CCC and the BG publish a little sites list with nearby boating facilities of their own. BG run many weekend meets around the country and a number of Holiday meets as well. The BG is a very friendy outfit. Although not very active recently I have been a member since the mid 1970s. Nearly forgot see www.boating-group.org.uk/ for details.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by VicS on 13/07/2002 19:23 (server time).</FONT></P>

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Don't know about the South but head a little further West to the Camel Estuary in Cornwall. Camp on either the Padstow side or Rock side- camp sites in both locations . The estuary is marvellous for sailing- I learnt there and so have all the kids. Rock sailing club offers temporary membership- except in August- hot showers, bar, food and racing .Safe sandy beaches and plenty to explore both in the dinghy and on foot. Rock can be a bit pretentious but move along the estuary and you'll find anu number of sandy inlets all to yourself even at the height of the season. Launching available both sides and you can leave the boat on the beach at Rock- around £20 payable to the harbour commission for a week.Have fun!

ChrisJ

Visit site
Its not a lake, but Brightlingsea on the east coast (Essex) has a camp site 2 mins walk from the Sailing Club.
Gentle launching into the creek, then estuary sailing.
Safe toddlers beach near by.

Endy

Visit site
Just to add to your suggestion Chris...whilst your comment about gentle launching into the creek is of course correct, the Launching ramp alongside the Sailing Club IS for Sailing Club members only!! HOWEVER, anyone wishing to use the ramp should contact the Secretary and permission is invariably granted for sailing dinghies!

G

Ther is a campsite at OBY in Norfolk which is situated on a piece of land that used to be a farm (I think part of it still is) The campsite is really good with a huge selection of pitches to choose from in more than one field. The site is very clean and has a dyke running up to it which is about 300 yards long. The other end exits onto the river Bure close to the Thurne entrance. If you look at a map and look for Thurne you will see that this location is well placed for access to rivers Thurne, Ant, Bure, Womack water etc. When I enquired a couple of years ago it was possible to leave a dinghy there in secure surroundings for about £70 pa. The distance from the dinghy park to the slip is about 30 yards.

The site is a great family place and Yarmouth and Lowestoft are not far away.

The only drawback of this site is that they only open from about April to September. This applies to the campsite but I dont know about the boat usage for the rest of the year.

Before we lashed out on a bigger boat we used to put the rowing dinghy on the trailer fill it with camping and fishing gear and off we went for the weekend, it was great fun( I think I must have read too many Arthur Ransome books!!)

Hope this helps

PZ

Trevethan

Visit site
Instow on the Taw-Torridge estuary is great. If feeling really adventurous try Crow Point at the south end on Saunton Sands. No campsite, but lots of people do camp - and its free, wild and beautiful - and you have the largest area of sand dunes in western Europe right outside your tent flap. When I was 16 or 17 I would move my skipper 14 from the yacht club over there, take a tent, and spend the whole summer there sailing everyday.

The sailing is great though the tides make it a bit restrictive maybe three hours either side of high tide from the yacht club, longer from the beaches, but not by much.

You can make some nice trips up the rivers. Bideford is easy to reach and return from on a tide, while too just about, though when I sailed up in the past, I would stay overnight. There is a channel and it used to be buoyed. Not sure if it still is. A bike ride along the former railway lines on either side of the river at low tide will give you an idea of where it runs

I made a couple of trips to Lundy from there, but crossing the bar can be a bit hairy, specially single handed in a 14 footer. Back then I was young and foolish.. course I am old and foolish now.

gomez

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions especially to Gerry as I think we are going to try the Camel Estuary. I have taken
notes of all the others so this should keep us going for a while! Thanks again
Gomez

paulstanf

Visit site
Not the south coast, but a beautiful spot is Newport in Pembrokeshire. There is a very friendly sailing club with sailing in the estuary or Newport Bay. There is raceing throughout the Summer which means there is always a rescue boat on the water.
The children will love the beach & camping is available in Parog with direct access to slipway where you can launch free of charge.
You need to check the tide times otherwise you will have to walk your boat to the sea.
Ive been going there for many years

Hope above of interest
Paul