Dinghy racing for OAP's

boomerangben

Visit site
Warning: arm chair advisor here!
When pondering this myself, it’s the Phantom that caught my eye, mainly for weight and looks more comfortable than a laser. But there is no club racing where I live so I remain in the arm chair (and a Bayraider expedition)

Beelzebub

Visit site
I'm an OAP and have been refurbishing my old Fireball with a view to racing that again. I remember all the aches and pains that I used to suffer after a windy race when in my 20s and 30s, so it will be interesting to see how I cope these days!

dancrane

Visit site
Good for you, Beelzebub! Never too old...look at this chap, another Fireballer, aged 72 apparently...

ianc1200

Visit site
Try a Hadron H2, built very close (Simon Hipkins) and good for your knees

Sorry - I hadn't noticed this. He is very local to me (hadn't realised) and he's sent me an email with his very helpful views + I've been watching him most weeks in his orange International Canoe.

temptress

gbr195t.com
I fancy having a go at dinghy racing. Sailed my cruisers/smacks boat locally on East Coast (Walton on the Naze) but our club are very active in their various series of races. I am thinking (& probably will do) buying a Laser but a friend who also races suggests a Laser not great for elderly backs/knees, etc, she suggests I buy her Super Nova (seems just a faster Laser to me). Any thoughts?
if Dinghy racing you need a local class...handicap racing is not that much fun in a dinghy.

buy a boat that yupr.club has a class or at least a lot of that type to race against.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Warning: arm chair advisor here!
When pondering this myself, it’s the Phantom that caught my eye, mainly for weight and looks more comfortable than a laser. But there is no club racing where I live so I remain in the arm chair (and a Bayraider expedition)
Sold my Phantom last year. Regretted it immediately. I had a laser 20 years ago & there is no comparison. The Phantom is Soo much more fun with loads to tweak. .But it can be a handfull & is a real killer on the knees. The laser is faster to rig & I bought it for Thursday night racing where time was short- arrival, departure etc.- but that is about it. Now I am 75 I found that I could not sail the Phantom in more than 10 kts. Mainly because I was short of practice- being cruiser orientated. My son is class chairman, so there is a connection. So if I want to race in the club fleet I will have to revert to my Squib. Now that really shows my age.

seadog30

Visit site
I fancy having a go at dinghy racing. Sailed my cruisers/smacks boat locally on East Coast (Walton on the Naze) but our club are very active in their various series of races. I am thinking (& probably will do) buying a Laser but a friend who also races suggests a Laser not great for elderly backs/knees, etc, she suggests I buy her Super Nova (seems just a faster Laser to me). Any thoughts?

With bad knees and back I tried radio control model yatch racing !!. The racing in most clubs is very close and serious fun.

You can start at very low cost with a one design i.e. a Dragon Flite 95 for approx £350 is a good start.

Have a look at mya-uk.org.uk

Good luck