Dinghy Insurance

Timcowen

Visit site
Hi all,

I am looking for suggestions on Insurance Companies to cover my dinghy.
She is a 16 ft montagu sharpie, originally built between 1930 and probably 1935 ish. Restored in the early 60's . She is about to go off to a boat yard to have some work done on her as the initial stages of her current restoration. She hasn't sailed for some years and is probably not in bad shape considering.
From the research I have done so far, the online companies seem to have endless dropdown lists of 'well known' dinghies but not mine...... any suggestions for a good company that will cover her whilst being restored and latterly used.
Thanks
Tim

RobinBirch

Visit site
Have a chat to underwriters at GJW Direct on 0151 4738000 and discuss your requirement. I found them helpful when arranging insurance on my Hillyard.

lw395

Visit site
It's very difficult to value an old boat, particularly one that is not in seaworthy/ready to sail condition.
So what any insuruer will pay you in the event of loss or damage could be a big disappointment. One of my dinghies is in danger of falling into this category, I think it will be insured TPO when it hits the water.
OTOH Craftinsure cover my 'best' boat at a good price. They offer you lower price/higher excess optionally which suits me, as minor things I will DIY or buy used parts.