Dinghy for a bit of family fun

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
We've had a similar dilemma in that SWMBO is the midget and I'm the ballast at 13.5st. If you aren't going to do displacement then you really need daughter on the helm. Then select the dinghy based on your weight, not hers. At 15 stone a 505 would probably be about right and you don't need to spend a fortune. Loads of fun and planes well in light to moderate breezes. We have a 420, the little sister but Mrs Murphy isn't keen on helming. I don't know how old your daughter is but maybe it's a good time to start.

fireball

Visit site
A 505 would be a handful for a 12yo to helm - the mainsheet loading can be quite high for a start!
Very similar to Osprey ...

Kelpie

Visit site
Strange to see the Wayfarer categorised as dull and slow.
Last year we managed to beat several Laser 2000s in a Wayfarer... and that was without even getting the kite up.
But I suppose going fast, and thinking you are going fast, are two different things.

fireball

Visit site
Yer. But were they going in the same direction? ;)

Best look at the handicaps of the boats. Just because you overtook them doesn't mean the boats are slow.
I quite often finish in front of an International 14 and sometimes a 505.

Kelpie

Visit site
Same direction, same course, except one or two of the L2Ks decided to stop and check the water depth using their masts. What's that all about, eh?
On PN the L2K is 1090 and the Wayfarer 1099 so not a big difference.

But it probably 'feels' much faster on a L2K which may be what counts? And I won't deny that they must be much easier to launch/recover.

arfa

Visit site
Daughter is 9 (going on 19)....
Wayfarers I have found to be quite heavy to handle and can be tricky to right at times. I also don't really want to start out with a full kite.
Nothing wrong with a wayfarer but I think a 2k would suit our needs better. The next step is to get on the water in one and challenge my perceptions

WestwardBound

Visit site
Perhaps consider a day boat such as a Hawk 20. Excellent stability, comfort, load carrying capacity and good performance. A very safe family day boat, fast enough and fun to sail. We sailed ours in Chichester harbour where you see quite a lot of them around, for a reason. Copes with quite adverse conditions (we had a spray hood). Perfectly capable of going back and forth to Bembridge on a nice day as we have done. 4 or 5 hp engine gets you home against tide if required, ideal for day trips down to East Head with family and a friend or two. Easy to fly the spinaker if you get the model without cabin. One of the great British boats imho. We only sold ours when we wanted to "upgrade" to a yacht.

arfa

Visit site
Perhaps consider a day boat such as a Hawk 20. Excellent stability, comfort, load carrying capacity and good performance. A very safe family day boat, fast enough and fun to sail. We sailed ours in Chichester harbour where you see quite a lot of them around, for a reason. Copes with quite adverse conditions (we had a spray hood). Perfectly capable of going back and forth to Bembridge on a nice day as we have done. 4 or 5 hp engine gets you home against tide if required, ideal for day trips down to East Head with family and a friend or two. Easy to fly the spinaker if you get the model without cabin. One of the great British boats imho. We only sold ours when we wanted to "upgrade" to a yacht.

My profile should show that I currently sail a bene 211 - lots of fun but my question is related to the fact it is time for a change. I learnt in a dinghy and I would like to be able to share that with my daughter. The 211 is a great boat for Chichester and should I make the change, I will miss our current boat. However, you have got to use it or lose it in my view and if I am sailing/racing a dinghy with my eldest, the 211 is likely to not get enough of a look in to justify keeping her. We have done the Solent crossing bit and the performance of the 211 is great but it is not the same as learning in a dinghy IMHO.

fireball

Visit site
My profile should show that I currently sail a bene 211 - lots of fun but my question is related to the fact it is time for a change. I learnt in a dinghy and I would like to be able to share that with my daughter. The 211 is a great boat for Chichester and should I make the change, I will miss our current boat. However, you have got to use it or lose it in my view and if I am sailing/racing a dinghy with my eldest, the 211 is likely to not get enough of a look in to justify keeping her. We have done the Solent crossing bit and the performance of the 211 is great but it is not the same as learning in a dinghy IMHO.

Oh I dunno - I race dinghies during the week, then bimble about in a big bugger at the weekend ....

Lakesailor

Visit site
Just to be awkward. How about a Topper Omega PY 1075.
The OMEGA is the ultimate family day sailor. She provides you with so many sailing options. She's equally happy cruising or pottering, racing or blasting. Fast, fun sailing with a gennaker and trapeze or a relaxed day with your family and friends - you decide. The famous Howlett design hull stability means that Omega sailing is always fun and relaxing and drama free.

alant

Visit site

http://www.hawk20.co.uk/inventory-and-options_standard.htm

You could almost buy a flat for that price! :D