Dinghy drysuits

Jenaline IV

Live: Farnborough. Sail: Chi, Solent, Poole
Visit site
Hi all,

I am looking for a bit of info on dinghy drysuits. I am looking to extend my sailing season however the threat of going turles in water that is below 15C is not inviting unless I have a drysuit on. I have looked around the web and seen that the Musto one is quite popular but I have also found Trident ones which are cheaper and with a long guarantee.

Does anyone have any experience with these suits?

TIA,

Gaffer

lw395

Visit site
Drysuits

Personally I have a Typhoon breathable drysuit which was about £210 inc undersuit nearly 3 years ago.
Would buy the same again.
Try Pacer Marine in Aldershot, they sometimes sell on ebay and are v helpful.
Crewsaver ones are OK too if they fit you, to some extent you have to buy a make that has the right balance between leg length and shoulder height. Something that fits is more important than brand imho.

As I've got a bit more serious, I use a wetsuit more for dinghy racing, but the drysuit is definitely first choice when it's rescue boat duty time!

Hope that helps?

fireball

Visit site
I'd go with a breathable one if you intend to get significant use out of it. With a non-breathable one you will get all damp and clammy inside.
My current one for dinghy racing is non-breathable and I need a shower after racing ...

maxi77

Visit site
Trident are a good company run by a family committed to dighy racing so their stuff tends to be good and designed by some one who uses the kit every weekend.

paulburton44

www.withamsailingclub.co.uk
I had a non breathable crewsaver for years, front zip. Just bought a rear zip Typhoon, breathable suit.

The old crewsaver did come off damp and there is always a bit more material around the chest to let you get your head in. It is easier to have a pee.

The Typhoon comes off dry and is more fitted. Very easy to put on but not so easy to pee.

Wouldn't go back to my old crewsaver.
Would buy another Typhoon.

Thistle

Visit site
Mine's Typhoon but bought, IIRC, from Trident. I've had several dealings with Trident and have always been very pleased with them.

Front zip's a bit more expensive but well worth the money. I've never bothered with a "wooly bear" undersuit and find an old fleecy tracksuit fine.

Last edited:

DinghyMan

www.ff-systems.co.uk
I've had a Typhoon breathable for about 4 or 5 years, recently wore it for the best part 8 hours kayaking doing surface cover for a RNLI charity dive on Wastwater. Front loader so you can easily take it off for comfort breaks and you don't get wet through from sweating. I used to wear it all year round when dinghy sailing.

I would definately go breathable, latex socks so you can wear a pair of jetski boots for comfort and protection, and front loader so you can take it off by yourself. Decent wicking underclothes help as well.

I would not want to wear a non breathable for that length of time, wearing my diving drysuit for two hours is enough to get pretty wet from sweating inside it even in UK temperatures.