Dinghies - Seago Spirit 2.4m (with keel) vs Crewsaver 2.3m (flat / no keel)

MattS

Visit site
I need a new tender. Can't find any recent threads with opinions on these so hoping for some recent experiences / feedback.

Boat is only 28ft yacht, so need to keep as small as practical for both inflation on deck and also storage.

Won't get heavy use. Mainly to have on board for anchorages / going ashore during my trip along the UK South Coast this year. I have the standard Honda 2.3 air-cooled outboard.

Any views on either of these models?

Is an inflatable keel worth it for an extra £120 and 10kg weight? How much will I really benefit from the keel for my usage pattern?

Would I regret the 29kg weight of the Seago Spirit vs the 19kg of the Crewsaver?

Basically any opinions (informed preferably!) on these things appreciated

chris-s

Visit site
We bought a small air-deck non-keel dinghy for the same purpose a couple of seasons back, it has zero directional control, well nearly zero! It skates all over the water, turns are more of a sliding affair, but it gets you to shore. We have never had to use it in anything other than calm flat conditions. It’s about 22kg which was heavier than desired/advertised, in wouldn’t want to be hauling anything much heavier around.

If I was buying again I would definitely get a model with a keel. Depending on your budget there are plenty of options out there less than 25kg.

MattS

Visit site
Thanks @chris-s - I haven’t actually found any with an inflatable keel that are less than 25kg. I don’t suppose you can give me some pointers on what to search for?

chris-s

Visit site
Try the 3D tender range. Our other tender is one of their aluminium hulled 2.5m ultra lights and weighs less than 25kg. Unfortunately it doesn’t roll up to fit on deck.