Differences in Seajet A/F ?

Momac

Visit site
i am in a low fouling area and keep the boat on fresh water with occasional salty water trips. The movement between fresh and salty probably helps in itself as an antifoul.
I applied the 031 antifoul 4 years ago.
After 1.5 years it looked okay so I did nothing.
On lifting out after 3.5 years the antifoul had clearly lost its antifoul potency and had changed to a lighter colour. Last summer there was some small loss of speed .
So I would say 2 years is probably time to re-coat
I applied only one coat of the 031. It covers very well. Mostly used a large roller which gives a more even finish than a bush or small roller .

I have used the 031 again just now (launched on Friday) but might try the 021 EKO next time . I expect the 021 would require a primer/barrier coat first.
Screenshot 2024-03-11 23.10.59.png

oldgit

Visit site
Have used the 037 for past couple of years. with some success ?
Boat moored in a mixture of salt and brackish, tidal flow of + 2 knots on big tides , last anti fouled 11 months ago.
Trip out last Sunday and managed 19 knots against and 22.5 knots with tide with 9 "crew" :unsure: on board .
Best ever has been 25 knots so the A/F must be doing something.
The 31 appears to offer the same protection but slightly more expensive ?
Normally its jet wash and a single coat every year, 5 litres usually results in a teaspoons worth left in the tin.

Have no idea why a small roller is usually used, to be frank its PIA and takes ages ?????

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site
Seajet again this year, curious that it was 10% cheaper to buy from a chandlery at the other end of the country, including P&P, as opposed to picking it up from local outfit round the corner, profit must be good on this stuff.
Different colour this time to spot which bits have been missed.
Several folks appear to favour this brand of A/F in our area,helped to remove a pair of props yesterday , nearbye boat in the same yard was being given two coats of Seajet 31.
Everyone now getting their boats ready for the long hot days of summer ahead.
Fouling fairly light this year, mainly slime with medium barnycules.
Suspicions that absence of any growth, compared to previous years is due to sheer quantities of freshwater coming down from above the lock during the last 12 months. ?
Still using zinc, one or two trying Aluminium .

Last edited:

Greg2

Visit site
Interesting that fouling has been light this year on your part of the east coast. Last season was the worst we have known a little further north in the Suffolk rivers.

I used Seajet 033 last year but might give 031 a try this year.

sharpness

Visit site
Slight thread drift, but thats a good looking boat Fred. You don't see many in the UK. From the pic it looks like its on shafts. I wrongly assumed it was fitted with pods. Must be very handy having a drying dock at your club moorings (y)

oldgit

Visit site
Slight thread drift, but thats a good looking boat Fred. You don't see many in the UK. From the pic it looks like its on shafts. I wrongly assumed it was fitted with pods. Must be very handy having a drying dock at your club moorings (y)
Suspect only one imported to UK.
Pair of Yanmars on shafts with V drive gearboxes. No electronics apart from throttles. :)
Did search from one end of the UK to the other and most of the bits inbetween in search for a replacement for the Princess 35.
Natural choice would have been another Princess, went to look at various P 410, P360/P380 and P42/P420, even whisper it a couple of Sea**** and a gorgeous Phantom .
Unfortunately the Covid boat price lunacy was in full swing and lots of tired neglected old junk was being put on UK sales pontoons, the owners not believing their luck price wise.
Had given up looking but there is always time for one more trawl through the brokers websites on wet Sunday . :(
Did look at a couple of Prestige 36 but not impressed with the AIRFIX finish and as for the engine access, this did put me off bothering with any more Gallic boats.
Fatally, we drove down to Brighton Marina for a bit of lunch and decided to pop into the brokers to just to see what the boat was like.
Smitten as soon as we walked up the pontoon, modern spacious bright interior ,wide side decks, easy to get on and off, no need to be a mountain goat to get up on fly, engines you could actually see when you lifted the hatch.
Plus some stuff that would never ever grace any boat of mine ie, genny and bowthruster. (y)
Boat was an import and subject to the 20% Brexit tax , made an offer subject to a quick whizz round, boat back home a week later.
Session on our drying blocks £45 including the use of 3000psi jet washer.
Enough time to wash off A/F, sort anodes and give hull a lick and promise polish up.