Diesel Speedboat

G

Hi folks,
I was wondering if anyone has ever done a successfull diesel conversion on a speedboat of around 18 to 22 feet in lenght. I've heard of it being done successfully on a mastercraft ski boat but this was less complicated because of the centrally mounted engine. I've also heard that a guy converted a 17 foot dateline speedboat with an outdrive. I think he used a 2litre Isuzu Turbo Diesel but I'm not sure how it went. I also spoke to a guy in a japanese engine reconditioning shop and he said that he had sold a few engines to be used in speedboats.
I think it would be a great winter project to convert a boat with a tired 3litre mercruiser. I'd love to hear from anyone who has any views.

Cheers!

DH

aztec

Visit site
iv'e been told the "new" raider mk 2 uses an iszuzu 2.7 turbo diesel through an outdrive, as used by RM. goes like sh1t off a stick, engines should be easy to get hold of, but i don't know about heat exchangers, raw water cooling a bit dodgey as they have ally heads.

regards, steve.

ahh say what you like.... what's done is done!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.amos/index.html

G

That Isuzu 2.7 Turbodiesel is probably out of an Isuzu Trooper Jeep. Your right about the alloy head, very dodgy for marine use as the temp gets too high. I reengined a 34 foot inland cruiser with my dad before and we were told only buy an engine with a cast iron head.

burgundyben

Visit site
See the lancing marine website, but dont call Mike Bellamy cos everyone says to do that so he probly spends all his time answering the fone.....

look at dieselising and look at surface drives too, although prbly all costly.

Also, nuther thing, wot gets used in diesel ribs? I know some of the big ones use he yanmar 300 which I think is same block as yamaha 300 block which I think is the toyota land cruiser block, but its big and heavy.....

I am gonna spend it on wine, women and song, and blow the rest.........

aztec

Visit site
if it's a cast iron head, you can use raw water cooling, saves money, hmmmm.
but yoyu are limited on sources, i know the 2.5 di turbo transit has a cast iron head, but i don't think it would give enough power. i did consider the VW gti engine at 150 bhp, or the skoda 150, but as yet hav'nt had a look to see configuration. i'm fitting a pair of 1.6 litre ford diesels but they are only 55 hp each, so i'm not expecting much. but i'm always looking out for alternatives later on, the 2.5 ford looks favourite at the moment.

ahh say what you like.... what's done is done!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.amos/index.html

Geoffs

Visit site
Mercury, of course, do a 1.7 Tdi engine as a direct swap for 3 litre. Probably not the cheapest option, but mates directly to Alpha drive. Front mountings a bit different to 3 litre, but not major.

It's rated at 120hp, I think, so a bit lower power than 3 litre. But back to back tests have shown a small decrese in top speed, but better acceleration. Believe it's based on GM engine as used by Vauxhall. They must have lifted power somehow, upping boost ressure perhaps.

Old Chinese proverb 'Man who sail boat into rice field, soon get into paddy'

ccscott49

Visit site
The 4 cylinder slant ford diesel, with turbo, all the marinising parts are available and they produce (I think) about 140hp in turbo/intercooled form, mermaid used to or still do use the slant four, so the parts are available. Just a thought, powerful little engine, also ca be fitted to sterndrives, I saw two in a project 31, and also in an ex navy, pacific RIB, that was very fast, used as a yacht taxi/fun boat in Dartmouth.

G

We fitted a Nissan SD25 2.5litre normally aspirated diesel to a 34 foot inland cruiser and it worked very well. The engine comes from the Nissan Cabstar pickup truck or Nissan Forklifts. I think one of the modern high revving diesels would be better suited for use in a light speedboat/sportscruiser. I think the economy factor would be huge. I heard of a guy who bought an old mastercraft and put in a big turbodiesel and he could spend the whole day waterskiing for £20 to £30. There's also the factor of being able to get fuel at a marina and not having to carry cans.
Maybe we need a techy head to work out power to weight ratios and such like to find out what would work.

AJW

Visit site
Re. Whats used in Diesel RIBS......Yam 240's, V*lvo 170's, Yanmar 250's and Yanmar 300's mostly. Bit of a warning for any Motor Boatie with Yanmar 300's and Bravo 3x drives - lots of stories (mostly true) abound about drive failures as too much torque for the drive. Happened to me on a RIB in the Outer Hebrides this year. Grumble grumble BANG no drive. This was 2nd B3x drive failure in 280hrs boating in 1 year on this particular RIB So given that RIBS often do more hrs than motorcruisers are there a lot of 300/B3x's out there in cruisers that are going to fail soon?!

tico

Visit site
Surprised that Ben didn't remember!!!
I fitted twin 140hp Lancing units based on 2.5 Transit unit to a 26' Sunfury.
Now goes like s**t off a shovel
These are mounted to V**vo 290 outdrives. There is quite a bit of engineering work needed to run exhausts and cooling, alter engine mounts etc, but it's all possible. Depends how far you want to go whether you want to do the marinising yourself or get a converted engine.
140hp gives plenty of poke but you will need to take care with prop selection to take advantage of the higher torque.
PM me if you want details.

tr7v8

Visit site
Yummmm Yummm, I've got the brochure for this and it's actually an Izuzu engine. Yes it is the same one as the Astra TD uses but that only puts out about 90BHP. Mercruisers price for the 1.7 with Alpha 1 is £ 8,500 +VAT which considering the list for their 135hp petrol is £ 7,000+VAT I don't think is bad.
The good thing is that its only 750mm long (100mm shorter than petrol) which in the Draco would mean more space in the engine room. I do have the brochure here if anyone wants any more info.

As regards the 150HP 5 Cyl VW diesel thats marinised by VW Marine but having looked at the German website availability is only Germany, Holland & Belguim at present.

Jim
------

burgundyben

Visit site
Could not remember the details and thought you'd chip in, which you did so that was good.

Back from the east then? Back out soon?

I am gonna spend it on wine, women and song, and blow the rest.........

jfm

Visit site
Re: Waterskiers

A small point, if you use it for waterskiing do you really want diesel? I skied behind a diesel Mastercraft at a Sunsail holiday place and nearly got asphyxiated. As you rise up out of the water you hit a cloud of dense black smog!

Geoffs

Visit site
Re: Waterskiers

That's a damn good point, hadn't thought of that. I've been wondering about ditching the petrol engine, in favour of Mercury 1.7Tdi, but perhaps my skiing daughter might not appreciate it.

Old Chinese proverb 'Man who sail boat into rice field, soon get into paddy'