Diesel outboard ?

flyfisher

Visit site
Has anyone had experience with the diesel outboard motors? Yanmar makes one as well as a couple of less well known companies. After failing to find an affordable Prout we are looking at a couple of gas outboard powered catamarans. We worry about the explosion factor of a lot of gas aboard. Are we correct in thinking that diesel would provide less chance of explosion?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Moose

Visit site
Yes, diesel is less volatile and has a flashpoint of 50'c ish, Its also cheaper to buy and you don't use so much of it.

<hr width=100% size=1>
moosewalk.gif

L' Moose

Talbot

Visit site
I run a yanmar 27hp diesel outboard with ultra long shaft and hydraulic lift on a 9m Catalac. A lovely engine very powerful and lots of grunt. There is also a ruggerini which is not as good, but a lot cheaper. I used to have a 30hp yamaha petrol but it used to gulp fuel and as it was only a long shaft, it cavitated a lot. I once used 4 gallons trying to go less than half a mile in a bad chop. I fitted the engine myself so if you have any queries pm me with your email.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tr7v8

Visit site
Coventry Climax used to make one not sure if they still do.
Might add that on a raggie given the extra capital cost that would pay for a lot of extra petrol over a diesel!

<hr width=100% size=1>Jim

Draco 2500