Diesel is almost twice the price of last year (Ligurian coast)

Portofino

Visit site
That would really do my head in !
Would much rather do the trip in 4 hours @ 28/30 knots.
Bit of both for me .

Fessing up Schhh don’t tell Greta ! :) When it pretty calm and windless the sea temp high twenties we have up anchored and gone for “ drive “ just to get a breeze to cool off .A Kinda 4 hr pointless big out to sea circle from Cannes out and back .

So at least with Pisa or La Spetzia back to Liguria theres a bit of justification ie you want to arrive there , a point to it .

Yes it nice to be able to outrun weather at 30 knots as well .Once we were in Bouba stomping ground’s anchored up near Bormes ( where his boat yard doing his tank is now ) 6 pm , dinner on board 7 pm ………..radio met report suggested mistral due , the westerly wind was indeed rising , white horses appearing in the bay .8 pm we gunned it back to La Napoule down wind covering 60 odd miles in less than 2 hrs .The waves although down wind were pretty big we disappeared in the thoughts .

truro expat

Visit site
We have just done from genoa down to Nice and noted the prices, Genoa airport marina was 2.38 Alassio was as said earlier.
France was 2.34 in Nice and 2.38 in Menton and 2.26 Sanremo.
The road station in Genoa was 2.06 out of interest.
This year we have left the boat in Nice rather than return to genoa so got hirer Marina fees but saving on the diesel!

oldgit

Visit site
Remember when the world was going to end when fuel went up to £1.00 a litre!
We have boats off on trips round to the Solent, up the East coast and across to EU.
The boats not moving and those moaning about fuel would not be going anywhere anyway ?.
The elephant long hidden /ignored n the boat engine room has finally stuck it's truck out of the hatch ?

Last edited:

balder

Visit site
Hello,
I have decided to "sail" back from Las Palmas gran canaria to Med, Valencia, last may. So we left the islands with our three tanks full ( 8600 metric liters). At 7,5 kts SOG, heading north mostly against current and swell , we burned 18 liters per an hour ( 1450 rpm, hydraulic stabs running 24h/24h john deere 6081 AFM heavy duty).
When in Vilamoura, I saw a lot of Brits with Fairline or Sunseeker going in and out but no many at planning speed and we wondered if they were not chartered boats.
I expected to refill in Gibraltar where few years ago, on the way to Canaries we filled at 50 pence a liter . In Gib, we bought 2300 liters , with conversion rate gib sterling to euro it was 1,45 euro a liter. Considering the stress in France with people agonizing with their cars, trucks et and all the bloody propaganda for these " electric" cars, we felt we were lucky. Few hundred miles later, we took our berth in Valencia, time to decide another plan next year. I had to refill again, more or less 2000 liters, the price was end of june, 2,24eur! So I decided to stay with "only" 6000 liters in my tanks.
Ex sailor, owning before a semi planning trawler, I am happy with my heavy displacement trawler ( 55 metric tons)moving with no noise or vibrations at 7.5 SOG vs 18 liters per an hour. But it is still painful to buy this diesel at 2,24 or 2,28euros.....
Go to Algeria to fill the tank is not without dangers and as a french, I prefer avoid this country, ask to the small truck to deliver somewhere in Spain fuel is also very dangerous and in fact forbidden! And this fuel will be also very expansive.
What I do not understand, considering the last 15 days when brent was cheaper is why we do not see here ( I am currently in Normandie, France) lower prices at fuel stations......