Diesel in the bilge’s!!

G

We have a problem with diesel that has been allowed to settle in the bilge's for a prolonged period. This has meant that it has seeped into the ply wood bulkheads by up to 100mm, it is proving nigh impossible to remove! We started with bilge cleaner and have been told that we may need to start cutting the wood out!

Is there a way to get rid of diesel and the horrid smell that accompanies it when it has wicked into plywood?

We are thinking about drilling into the bulkheads from the top and using some sort of detergent, preferably hot, maybe even flooding the boat to above the level of the diesel?

30boat

N/A
Visit site
In my previous boat the fuel tank leaked and there was always some fuel in the engine compartment.As this went on for years the plywood absorbed the diesel up to a height of 50cm.I had to cut all the contaminated wood out and rebuild the area completely.It was a lot of work but the diference in smell was dramatic.I don't think there is any way you can get diesel fuel out of plywood.

david_bagshaw

Visit site
I would certainly try the detergent soak idea.. if that doesnot work, How about sealing the fuel in, must be some sort ofoil proof paint / spray /goo that could be put over the affected area, to stop smell escape.

David
www.yachtman.co.uk

G

Have known some wooden boats suffer the same problem, it does eventually seem to clear but then wooden boats often have a steady throughput of water to clean them (ie they leak!) so swilling the bilges with bilgex and sea water weekly might eventually work.

The other trick I have seen is to use disposable nappies. Normally this is to soak up spills but I wonder what would happen if you taped them over the affected area over the winter, might draw the oil out?

Roly, Voya Con Dios, Glasson, Lancaster

claymore

Visit site
Rolands idea of nappies is good for absorbing pools of oil and diesel etc but I think as Charles says, once its impregnated the wood it's there permanently.
Spray on loads of smellies on a fine sunny day with all the hatches open, grab a passer by and flog it quick.

G

It's not something I have tried but you could try neutralising the oil with a degreaser such as Jizer: arrange things so that it too wicks into the plywood and you may have a result.

hove2

Visit site
Vermiculite is good for absorbing any petroleum based liquid. Nearly as good is sawdust. Make sure that water dose not saturate the vermiculite. Spread it an inch or so thick all over the wood and leave for a few days. then mix it around a bit and leave again and again and again. It may take some time. Replace the vermiculite if it becomes saturated. It may be difficult to keep it in place against a bulkhead, you will have to rig a sheet of MDF an inch os so away and fill the gap. Try and pack as tight as possible so that the vermiculite is in good contact with the deisel.
(never tried this on my boat but it has worked well at home)