diesel in ireland

davidgraham

Visit site
Some further clarification - since the derrogation on MGO for pleasure craft ended ( towards the end of 2008 ) the rules for purchasing diesel have changed. The systems adopted in the Irish Republic are different to those in the UK.
In the Irish Republic, diesel available for marine purposes ( ie. in marinas / ports etc ) is MGO ( commonly referred to as green diesel ) and is paid for at the prevailing rate ( anything bewteen 50 and 80 cents per litre. There is a requirement for each person to make an annual declaration of the litreage purchased for "private pleasure navigation " purposes and pay the appropriate rate of duty on same ( currently 40 cents / litre !) to the Irish Revenue.

In the UK, the purchaser makes a declaration at the time of MGO purchase ( red diesel ) on the percentage usable for navigation ( as distinct from domestic use eg heating ) anything down to 60% is generally acceptable.

In France, the full dutiable rate is payable for unmarked diesel. It is important to retain receipts for any MGO purchased in any other jurisdictions, for if they find and MGO in your tanks - its the guillotine !

It is also apparently illegal to carry any MGO in anything other than you main fuel tank.

Hope this clarifies more than it confuses !

castlevar

Visit site
diesel

Hi Davidgraham
Thank you for the very detailed reply Yes i am confused but all accountants confuse me . How can i pay the tax portion as i am a resident of nothern ireland and with your experence would it be better just to refill in the uk. But i have a buisness in cork which i pay a small amount of tax each year this might help the situation.
As we are still in portugall might take some time before we require some diesel.
But thanks again for all your help.