Diesel Heaters

Tam_Hazan

Visit site
Which one to fit - that is the question!

We had decided in favour of a Webasto over the old time favourite, Eberspacher. Then a friend urged us to seriously consider the Mikuni.
Does anyone have any experience of these newcomers? Or indeed have any strong feelings either way on any of the makes?
The heating is for a 39ft ketch.
Thanks for reading this,
Tam Hazan

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I fitted a Mikuni about 3 years ago. It has always worked perfectly, the service was excellent when I purchased it and it is quiet running. Also less money than Eberspacher etc, I highly recommend it.

tomg

Visit site
I also have a Mikuni which has been good. On the other hand I had an Eb. on my last boat and had no complaints about that either. Perhaps there is not much difference between them - apart from price.

G

I was going to get a Mikuni, but was tempted away by the Boat Show offer on the Eberspacher, which made it pretty much the same price as the Mikuni give or take a tenner or two. The Eberspacher also included a programmed timer, and cosmetically at least gave the impression of being a more up-market model.

The main limitation on these heaters is consumption of electrical current. They seem to take two different approaches: Eberspacher goes through start up cycle and then when cabin has heated up it reduces its power output to a gentle background level to maintain the temeperature. At the lower setting it consumes much less current (and diesel) than on boost. The Mikuni apparently has one setting that heats the cabin up, then the unti switches itself off until cabin temperature drops markedly, when it switches itself back on to reboost the heat levels. Mikuni claimed that this meant less current demand because the unit wasn't on all the time. I'm not sure about that, though, since the start up procedure (which the Mikuni will be doing regularly) is the one that consumes the lion's share of current, it seems to me that the more sophisticated Eberspacher set up may be better in this respect. It ought at least to involve less violent temperature fluctuations in the cabin.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Re: I got a Webasto....

I've got a 27 year old Webasto - needs the engine running to start it - but still going strong. Replaced the bearings 2 years ago - no problems with spares.

Doesn't half cosume power - 40 amps on start up!

When I replace - I will replace with something that consumes far less power.

Some people now with Generators are using electrical heating instead - these are so quite with the water separator exhausts that they may be a real option.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I had an Eberspacher on my last boat , a DL1C , whicj gave 12 years of trouble free service. One of its advantages over some of its rivals is current consumption. After your boat is heated you can turn the fan down so that it uses something like 1.5A or less. The Mikuni does the job by simply turning itself off/on and going through the whole start sequence again. I'm in the process of getting a Volvo Ardic system ripped out , and replacing with an Eberspacher Airtronic 4L system , one of the bonuses being a time switch which turn the heater on while I'm still in my berth. If it works it'll be a Godsend.

bedouin

Visit site
Have you also considered some of the gas powered heaters? They tend to require less electricity than diesels - and also need less looking after.

G

Agreed about the time switch. We made a couple of 5/6.00am winter starts this Feb. that I'm sure we wouldn't have made but for the timer. Set the heater to come on 30 minutes before reveille and getting out of the bunk into a warm cabin involved remarkably little pain. The temptation to ignore the alarm clock would've been too great without it.

mica

Visit site
Sounds like everyone is talking a load of hot air. Sorry, pardon the pun.

Don't know for sure, but I gather most of these replies refer to hot air systems. Have you looked at the hot water systems?

We have an Ardic D90 Water system, tailored to our needs, with the advantage of two radiators as well as a hot air blower. One radiator is fitted in the heads, which doubles as a drying room for wet oilies, the other radiator in the forward cabin and the hot air blower in the saloon, all running off the same system. Further advantage is that it heats the water via a calorifier for the galley, wash basins and shower and if the engine is running automatically cuts off the Ardic unit and the hot water for all the system is heated by the engine. If it is a hot summer's day you can have hot water only by turning the radiators and the blower off and just have hot water to the taps, or if it us cold and you are motoring, you can have all the hot water and heat you want without even switching your Ardic on.

A very versatile system. Having investigated the other systems we found this one gave us the best of both worlds.

Regards,

MICA

G

Living aboard my Laurin 32 in chilly Denmark, my experience is this:

- Hot air heaters are not that good. They pull damp air into the boat, and the water in this air condenses in the cold spots, mostly under the bunks. Nothing like a damp, mildewy bunk, is there? They're often a bit noisy too. But if all you need is something to warm the boat a bit on chilly days, they're fine.

- Hot water radiator-based systems are far, far better. I use a 4T oil-burning stove (developed from the Refleks system, which is sooty and inefficient by comparison) that feeds radiators with hot water. They consume less fuel and can be mounted in such a way that they need no current - a "thermal siphon"(?). My radiators are mounted under the bunks, so you don't get the condensation other systems are prone to. Unfortunately, I need a small pump (that comsumes very little current, about 1 amp) as I can't mount the stove low enough. Remember to put anti-freeze in the heating water!

About 50 people live all year in our harbour (Margretheholm, just south of Copenhagen main harbour) and we all agree that diesel-burning stoves coupled with hot water radiators is the way to go, and that the 4T stove is by far the best. They cost more, but add to the value of the boat and are very easy to live with.

By the way - liveaboards are welcome, especially in winter. Costs about £100/month and facilities are excellent. There's activity in the harbour all year round, and a very low "snob factor"...

Lost in Denmark - a yachtsmans paradise!

Tam_Hazan

Visit site
Thanks for all your answers.
Will still go with the diesel/blown air system, although there seems to be pros and cons between the leading manufacturers: perhaps it will come down to who ever offers the best deal.
Tam