diesel fumes

Windfall

Visit site
Know this is a bit of a girly thing to ask (but being a girly think I can get away iwth it!) any tips for how to get rid of the lingering diesel fumes from the boat bunks?

At the moment they're upstairs in the spare room and slowy stinking the house out am dreading putting them back on the boat as we've just about managed to mop up all the smells on board.

any housewifey tips?

ta

<hr width=100% size=1>

tr7v8

Visit site
You could convert to petrol I don't have any nasty diesel smells on mine!

I'd have thought a decent airfreshner block would have killed it off in all seriousness.

Jim
-----

<hr width=100% size=1>

Windfall

Visit site
Engine nice and clean & cured of all (fingers crossed) leaks...but bunk cushions (& can't afford to replace this year as this 'it only needs a bit of work dear' project is already costing a fortune in time & money) are so impregnated with the stuff I'm sure we could ring them out and get about an hours engine time from them!

<hr width=100% size=1>

nordic_ranger

Visit site
Try 'Febreze'. When I bought my present Boat I was certain that something had died onboard and was still there, the smell was so bad. It worked well for me although it took three bottles if I remember.

Good luck

Jim

<hr width=100% size=1>

byron

RIP
Visit site
<font color=blue>The only sure fire cure is to take the covers off the cushions and replace the inner sponge.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.alexander-advertising.co.uk

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Byron is right, but there are ways of masking the smell to a lesser extent. The one that my son swear by, with seven years experience working on Sunsail flotilla and charter boats, is Toilet Duck. A few squirts around bilges, lockers and the like will apparently neutralise the smell. What it might do for cushions I cannot say.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trevethan

Visit site
I am not a girly thing.. however a uh friend tells me that Febreze works wonders. Not that I'd know from personal experience being a real man who actively enjoys and relishes the smell of diesel in proper manly fashion.... ho hum....

Get the super strength stuff, strip off the covers, febreze 'em let them dry then wash if possible. squirt stuff over foam insides and again let dry, preferably somewhere warmish

Regards,

Nick

<hr width=100% size=1>

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
If you are particularly plagued by the odour of Red Diesel, as you own a yacht I expect your fuel bill / annum is not a problem. Have you considered using Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel (ULSD) this is taxed unfortuantly and as far as I know is not available in Red (Marked Diesel), but you would find the odour problem considerably reduced.

Trevor

<hr width=100% size=1>

sirius

Visit site
Fabreze is definitely the best solution without replacing everything. If you have fabric covers you can take them off and take them to the local laundramat and wash the in the big washing mashines they have. Meanwhile, fabreze on the foam will sort the smell out. If the covers are vinyl-covered then you can only treat the foam.

<hr width=100% size=1>Simon

gtmoore

Visit site
We had this problem with our boat - half a pint of diesel sitting in the bilge for months prior to our purchase did not make things smell sweetly in the cabin. In fact everything I brought home, charts, lifejackets, upholstery etc stank of it - as you say it seems to permeate the whole house. Gradually as the boat aired out and things were washed and replaced it's got better and I would say has more the aroma of your average caravan now. The cushions however were the biggest problem. We washed the covers but they still smelt so we washed them again. Now they were better but wouldn't fit on the foam anymore so we had to have new ones made! The foam was actually the easiest to sort. A bottle of Febreeze then left outside (but under cover) without the covers on for a couple of months allowed the air to do it's bit and a they are now fine - good job too as the prices to replace the foam are horrific!

HTH

<hr width=100% size=1>Gavin