Diesel engine stop

blackbeard

Visit site
On my little boat, the engine stop (ie thingy you pull to stop the engine, it then cuts off the fuel to the engine) was initially in the cockpit near the engine speed/gear level. But, in the cockpit, in the only places to put it are places where it fouls sail speed/gear lever or else tempts the ill-placed boot such that someone will eventually stand on it. It would be much easier to place it near the battery switch/keyswitch for the engine electrics/exhaust temperature monitor, all of which are inside the accommodation. But I have never seen this done, so I am left wondering if there is a reason why not. Have I missed something?

VicS

Visit site
On my little boat, the engine stop (ie thingy you pull to stop the engine, it then cuts off the fuel to the engine) was initially in the cockpit near the engine speed/gear level. But, in the cockpit, in the only places to put it are places where it fouls sail speed/gear lever or else tempts the ill-placed boot such that someone will eventually stand on it. It would be much easier to place it near the battery switch/keyswitch for the engine electrics/exhaust temperature monitor, all of which are inside the accommodation. But I have never seen this done, so I am left wondering if there is a reason why not. Have I missed something?
In the Westerly l used to sail the manual engine stop thingy was in the cockpit locker. Fully protected yet within easy reach of the helmsman.
The key switch, warning lights and instruments (tacho and temp) were on a recessed and partially covered panel in the cockpit adjacent to the throttle lever.

Stemar

Visit site
The engine start and stop controls on Jissel were below, and were a pain to get to, especially as I needed to use full throttle to start on a cold day, and the throttle was towards the aft end of the cockpit. I built a recessed control panel from wood with an "ignition" switch, starter button and warning lights to fit in the side of the cockpit, near the throttle. The stop/cold start cable was set into it at an angle, so it was out of the way of errant feet and trouser legs, but easy to get to. It was one of the better improvements I made to Jissel.

Neeves

Visit site
The 'stop' device is just a simple morse cable, you pull out the 'button, the morse cable close off the fuel.

It could be positioned anywhere you want - all you need do is re-route the relevant morse cable and possibly buy a fitting to secure it 'somewhere' convenient for you to activate. Logically it, and the other engine controls, would be located together in a convenient location (though whether it is convenient to an owner or the people commissioning the yacht originally is another story :(. )

Our engine control and all the sailing displays are on a dash board at the helm - but its a cat - and not relevant to most yachts.

Jonathan

fisherman

Visit site
When, at the end of a sixteen mile trip in, you find yourself heading for an expensive lifeboat with a crippled gear cable, unable to stop, is when you want the engine stop to hand
and a crew that can lasso a bollard.......