Dielette and Carteret.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
I understand the entrances can become dangerous in fresh westerlies. Does anybody know how much wind causes a problem and what about southwesterlies (as forecast for later next week)?

Angele

Visit site
I've not entered either in strong winds, but here is what it says is Reeds:

Dielette

No entry in strong W'lies

Carteret

... exposed to fresh W/SW winds which can make ent rough

I would be quite happy going to either in anything under a F6 from W or SW, but that is in a 40 footer. Given the topography, of the two I would have thought that Dielette would be less of a problem in SW winds than Carteret.

robp

Visit site
I understand the entrances can become dangerous in fresh westerlies. Does anybody know how much wind causes a problem and what about southwesterlies (as forecast for later next week)?

Some years ago, having sailed up from Jersey to Carteret, the wind freshened from the West. (Not forecast by Jersey Radio). I stood off for a while at well over a mile and watched as a Dutch boat sailed down from the North, (closer in) and went in. So we shaped up for the entrance. It was hairy and looked as though we were going to surf up the beach but as I expected, when we turned to port and got behind the wall, all quietened down!
I was looking up at waves behind me though! :eek:

Not a recommendation but we did it. I've aften wondered if it was wise, as I wouldn't have wanted any failures at that point.

Bandit

Visit site
Both are shallow and i have not had a seroius problem up to a F 6 , it depends very much on the state of tide as well.

I would have said F 5 and below quite manageable , but i am in a mobo.

Dielette has sand banks that build up and have to be removed within the harbour so dont come in on a falling tide with an estimated half metre under your keel if in doubt ask the HM.

Carteret shallow outside gate when gate is just open or about to close, choose your time of tide if in doubt.

Carteret is quieter in the marina in a blow than dielette which is susceptible to swell in a westerly.

Best seafood platter is Le Cap in Carteret. Both worth a visit.

Poignard

Visit site
I have never been into Carteret but my one visit to Dielette was made in a fresh SW wind. I don't know how strong it was (no means of measuring it) but I had just chickened-out of going into Les Ecrehous!

Entry into Dielette must have been problem free because I don't remember much about it. There's not much there to keep you long!

AIDY

www.ybw.com
I have never been into Carteret but my one visit to Dielette was made in a fresh SW wind. I don't know how strong it was (no means of measuring it) but I had just chickened-out of going into Les Ecrehous!

Entry into Dielette must have been problem free because I don't remember much about it. There's not much there to keep you long!

nice long walk up the hill to the local village....

maxi77

Visit site
Went into Cartaret once, nice place with a very friendly harbourmaster. Having seen the beach you sail over to get to the town before there was enough water to go in, I can see that with a stiff onshore wind and sea it could be very very unpleasant

Bav34

Visit site
Unfortunately we didn't enjoy Carteret.

The visitors pontoon is just a long one at the top end of the marina. You get rafted up with no view. No finger pontoons.

We stayed just two days, but the whole time there were fishing boats on the V pontoon being worked on/repaired and you are right opposite the crane ... more noise.

If you do go stay WELL over to the port side of the channel ... hopefully these pics might show why.

Carteret.jpg

Carteret1.jpg

Carteret2.jpg

chubby

www.flickr.com
We have enjoyed both and would enter in F4 maybe 5, we have been given fingers in Carteret several times when locals away, more choice of eateries but love the quayside moule frites in Diellette: only place we have ben offered a refill and had to turn away more moules!

Bandit

Visit site
Neither carteret or Dielette are throbbing metropolises.

Dielette very quiet and a hike to town or taxi, if you go there the grounds around the Chateau and opposite are worth a walk.

Carteret, dont worry about the approaches drying out check the tides to allow enough water, dont leave it too late.

http://www.barneville-carteret.fr/fr/port/ouverture_et_fermeture_de/default.asp This is link for gate times in French times local. Gate at 5m Open/dropped.

Approaches easy. Quiet during week, ask for a finger ( catway) . Call in advane to warn them you are coming ( pour vous prevenir) early on the day or the day before , name of boat , loa , how many nights and this helps.

Le cap for seafood, Gohan for steak on a wood fire , Kaliki bar for mussels. there is a good market on saturday morning in Barneville about 15 minutes walk, Rillette de canard au fois gras from the duck man, on toast is to die for.

Also Granville is nice but go to gangway end of pontoon as gate end can be sloppy.

You may have gathered Carteret is afavourite of mine.

Also a vote for St Cast.

Kimmo

Visit site
We werre in Dielette about a month ago. At that time they were dredging the outer harbour, which meant that the entrance was very narrow.

If the dredger would still be at the harbour, I would not want to go into the harbour on any significant wind.

Fourbees

Visit site
We werre in Dielette about a month ago. At that time they were dredging the outer harbour, which meant that the entrance was very narrow.

If the dredger would still be at the harbour, I would not want to go into the harbour on any significant wind.

There was plenty of water there when we went last summer. I expect they are dredging for the benefit of MV Victor Hugo that runs a scheduled service to Guernsey from Dielette. We had a good meal in the Bouche a l'Oreille, a short walk from the marina. The patron is very friendly and you can get a good value lunch there, thanks to the workers who come over from the local nuclear power station.

guernseyman

Visit site
Neither carteret or Dielette are throbbing metropolises.

Dielette very quiet and a hike to town or taxi, if you go there the grounds around the Chateau and opposite are worth a walk.

This year the free bus service has been reinstated from Diélette into the town of Les Pieux, high season only.

If it's any help, regarding entrance into Diélette, I've seen someone leaving Diélette for Guernsey in a SW force 8.