Depth gauge

G

My only depth gauge is on fish finder which only reads at slow speeds not above 8kts. Is this normal or is transponder badly positioned ? I have old style echo sounder which is u/s what is best option repair echo sounder or fit new depth gauge. Have fly bridge with no gauge at all. What would it cost to have to gauges fitted at main helm and fly?

BarryH

Visit site
If your looking to install new. I would seriously look at the forward "looking" models that tell you the depth of the water your actually heading for and the depth of water your in. These are i think a great boon as nearly all sounders are telling you the depth of water you are about to leave. Not cheap but i promised myself one for christmas.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
If your transducer/transponder is through-hull, it could be turbulance that is causing it to not read. Waterflow across the transducer head should be as smooth as possible. It could be that the head protrudes too far below any fairing, thus causing a turbulant water flow across it.

If this is so, making a fairing to go around it, thus smoothing the flow over the head, may be an answer.

regards,
Philip

BarryH

Visit site
I think the best way(IMHO) is to look at where you do most of your cruising, looking at the topography! of the sea bed. lots o shallow areas its gotta be the way to go. Lots o deep water, will it be worth it. I have seen one working at speed and i must admit i was sold. So I know its one xmas pressie i will be buying myself, well at the LBS anyway, see if i can get any deals.