Delta and Absilon anchors

chwarae

Visit site
What's the difference between these anchors? Other than price is there a significant improvement in holding ability? I note the absilon could possibly have a roll bar for sailing boats although I have never seen one. Looking for a 10 kg. for a Gibsea 33 with a dolphin bow. Don't think a roll bar would fit.
Thanks in anticipation for replies.

Neeves

Visit site
According to Lewmar the Epsilon is significantly better than the Delta. It has had insufficient, any, user feed back to confirm Lewmar's claims. If a Delta fits on your bow roller then so should the Epsilon - but you could always buy on the basis that if it does not fit you can take it back. The roll bar seems unnecessary and is simply there for a bizarre perceived need to pander to current taste, or bad taste.

If you use the YBW search engine you will find a few threads on Epsilon including some photographs.

If the choice is between an Epsilon and Delta, buy the Epsilon. It is unlikely that the Epsilon will be so good a user can tell the difference between an Epsilon and its (claimed) peers, Vulcan, Rocna, Supreme, Ultra, Excel, Spade. Until such time as there is more user feed back - I'd keep your wallet closed. In the interim if you can stretch to a Spade or Excel - buy the Spade or Excel - they are well proven.

Jonathan

Last edited:

bluerm166

Visit site
From the relevant Lewmar selection tables there appears to be only a modest increase in holding power.There are likely to be other differences in design and manufacture.
Here are their tables compared for your own scrutiny :
epsilondelta1.jpg

Neeves

Visit site
From the relevant Lewmar selection tables there appears to be only a modest increase in holding power.There are likely to be other differences in design and manufacture.
Here are their tables compared for your own scrutiny :
View attachment 115472

Historically the hold of Delta has been questioned - that whatever the quoted data, people did not believe, nor find, it was enough.

Maybe the holding capacity has increased but Lewmar have invested the increased hold in an increase in safety margin.

A 15kg Delta would have a hold of 1,000kg in a good holding sand seabed - BUT - Deltas would drag. My testing - at 1,000kg - your wife will have her divorce lawyer on the phone and your crew will have sworn never, ever, to sail with you again. The suggestion might be that the measure of hold was 'not enough' - other factors come into play. Lewmar is saying Epsilon has twice the hold of the Delta - maybe instead of underlining hold they are saying other parameters have improved - think resistance to veering, greater stability in swell and chop......

But there again - maybe Lewmar have subtle marketing ideas and its all smoke and mirrors.

Jonathan