Delivery of 26 foot sailboat from UK south coast to Portugal Atlantic coast (Porto area)...

Beneteau381

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies,

As Nortada points out my priority is to get Portuguese residency before the end of transition, I do not really want to risk setting off with just 4 weeks to sail the boat there and get the residency sorted. Leaving the boat somewhere on the way wouldn't work because the marina contract for the boat is needed to get the residency (although that begs the question of whether I could get a marina contract before the boat arrives at the marina!). So I made this post to explore the options of road transport (seems this will for sure be prohibitively expensive) or delivery by sea. So if anyone else has any suggestions or advice related to that side of all this it will be more than welcome...

Thanks again,
David.
It took me and the bride 4 weeks to get to Faro, marina hopping, taking it really slowly, 3 days stay in some places

zoidberg

Visit site
It took me and the bride 4 weeks to get to Faro, marina hopping, taking it really slowly, 3 days stay in some places

I rather imagine that 'capnsensible', 'praxinoscope' and t'others haven't factored in a whole lot of 'marital gymnastics' in their passage plans.

GraemeS

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies,

As Nortada points out my priority is to get Portuguese residency before the end of transition, I do not really want to risk setting off with just 4 weeks to sail the boat there and get the residency sorted. Leaving the boat somewhere on the way wouldn't work because the marina contract for the boat is needed to get the residency (although that begs the question of whether I could get a marina contract before the boat arrives at the marina!). So I made this post to explore the options of road transport (seems this will for sure be prohibitively expensive) or delivery by sea. So if anyone else has any suggestions or advice related to that side of all this it will be more than welcome...

Thanks again,
David.
Might have been suggested already. How about buying a cheap boat out there to get marina and residency sorted and then bring Bowman out at leisure?

capnsensible

Visit site
I rather imagine that 'capnsensible', 'praxinoscope' and t'others haven't factored in a whole lot of 'marital gymnastics' in their passage plans.
My wife and I have sailed across to the the Caribbean and back from Gib twice on our own yacht. The second time was just the two of us.

On the first circuit our auto pilot broke passing Tarifa outbound. We hand steered for the whole 9 months we were away, occasionally having friends aboard but not all the time. For the second trip I fitted a Hydrovane. ?

Edit to add: we have just moved ashore after 21 years of living aboard our Moody 33.

Vid

Visit site
I was quoted £5500 for lorry transport of my Achilles 24 from London to Mallorca. I have not gone ahead with it yet.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Delivery skippers see things in a rather different way to cruising sailors. ?

Don't know about that, except maybe pushing on in heavy weather. In common with many others we sail 2 up and have done N Wales to Portugal twice. Never stick to formal watches, just get some shuteye when needed.

Someone worried about marital gymnastics? Could be more fun with a bit of extra-marital :)

Zagato

Visit site
I wonder if somebody might sail it down for you as a holiday if you pay for there flights back. I had to get a boat from Torpoint to Chichester a few years ago and had a few offers from forum members to sail it up for me free which was very kind. Funny that I find myself in exactly the same situation now with my new boat but don,t need her up until next year for the season.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Bit of a caveat there. An 800 miles that involves going straight across the Bay of Biscay not going into the coastal waters and 12 hour watches or split days. Fatigue would be an issue. Rather you than me.
I've done that crossing a few times solo. No problem if you are used to single handing, a 3 to 4 day trip across Biscay, pick your weather window.
The hardest part is getting down the Spanish and Portuguese coast, either too much or not enough wind, so you end up doing a lot of motoring.

nortada

Visit site
You have to be able to submit an acceptable address.

I suppose in theory he could always fly out end of December, book a week in a marina to get the necessary address (and invoice for proof the boat's in the EU :) ) then just not turn up in the boat.

V1701 could also book a berth for the boat on the understanding that the marina would defer taking up the mooring until he arrives. He then has an acceptable address.

Before 31 Dec, fly out out to visit the council offices to get residency - job done. As he has a berth in the EU on 31st Dec, he may also be able to swing the VAT issue?

V1701, you have PM on this issue.