Dehumidifer

BAtoo

Visit site
I'd go for a basic house one from B&Q etc as long as it has a variable dial and set it fairly low as its a smallish space you are trying to use it in. Its what I use on my boat and it works fine.

kunyang

Visit site
I agree with Snooks,

Meaco unit has worked fantastically over the last two years, after recommendation in one of the sailing mag tests.

Dave

fmoran

Visit site
Just make sure that whatever you buy has no fancy electronics - needs to restart after a power cut. That's so so basic, but a lot of the newer and pricey ones will not!

BAtoo

Visit site
Just spotted this -

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10627516&fh_view_size=10&fh_eds=%3f%26%23159%3b&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories<{9372015}%2fcategorie

Not used one, or even seen one, but for the price might be what you want......

Last edited:

cliff

Visit site
We got one of these Maecos, and it was some of the best money we spent on our boat. It just dries out the interior/laundry/oilskins, we took it up to Scotland last year and we used it so much.
Wasn't the test unit was it?
Practical Boat Owner found that it extracted water several times faster than any of the compressor machines on test.
:D

snooks

www.grahamsnook.com
Is this an implication that Scotland is wet??????

Not wet exactly, just cold and windy!!!:D

Well it wasn't dry and sunny everyday we were up there, and I think in our 3 months we got the forepeak mattress on deck to dry it out 3 times.

The other times we'd put the cushions on their side and trap them up there with the dehumidifier for the day.

cliff

Visit site
I work in London for Yachting Monthly, not in Poole for PBO, nope I got ours from Amazon, paid £150 for it which is still a bargain.
Just thought you might have carried out a real / practical test under real conditions - Oh, you did , didn't you :D - remember what they say about the weather in Scotland - when you can see across the glen it is going to rain and when you can't see across the glen, it is raining - or words to that effect.

Angele

Visit site
If this is to dry the boat when you are not on board, then make sure the one you get either has a humidity detector (hydrostat or humidistat?) that will turn the machine on when the air is damp and off again when dry or does not need to be operated by pressing a button when the power comes on (and hence can be run off a timer switch).

If it doesn't (and the one I bought from Compass24 a few years ago didn't :eek:) you'll end up regretting it, coz it'll cost you an absolute fortune in electricity.

Oh, and continuous drainage if it will be running for a long time.

Last edited: