Dehler 30 OD

bbg

Visit site
A buddy of mine just told me he wants to buy one when they are available. Hopefully we can do Gotland Rund next year ...

That's a great race - two nights at sea and no need to use a torch.

flaming

Visit site
Downwind at 11+ in 20 knots is pretty decent... By the looks of the polars it's clearly supposed to be breaking out onto the plane about then.

Can't wait to see the 35 foot version...

bbg

Visit site
Downwind at 11+ in 20 knots is pretty decent... By the looks of the polars it's clearly supposed to be breaking out onto the plane about then.

Can't wait to see the 35 foot version...

Now you're just getting greedy!

lpdsn

Visit site
Looks like an amazing boat.

30 feet long, 2.5 tonnes, 200 l water ballast tanks each side, twin rudders, bowsprit.

https://www.dehlersverige.se/dehler-30

Can't wait to sail it ...
:cool:

Looks special.

However, when you're doing a heavy weather spinnaker run with the crew all clustered behind the helmsman to attempt to avoid a re-enactment of the full speed dive sequence from Das Boot I'm not sure how well a reference to the wave piercing bow would go down. :)

bbg

Visit site
Looks special.

However, when you're doing a heavy weather spinnaker run with the crew all clustered behind the helmsman to attempt to avoid a re-enactment of the full speed dive sequence from Das Boot I'm not sure how well a reference to the wave piercing bow would go down. :)

:D Although "full crew" on this boat is intended to be 2.

I think the "wave piercing" means exactly that - it is intended to drive through the wave rather then stick into it and slow down.

flaming

Visit site
Looking at this again, there are some things I really like, and some things that I think might be a bit of a weakness.

The electric propulsion and "rage extender" I think is great. Makes a lot of sense and I really like the flip up prop.
The overall concept I also think is great, though I do feel that aiming to sail with only 4 inshore is a little light. I'd expect 6 on a boat that size. And I expect that's what it will have if people start racing them in the Solent. 4 people is just too few when it comes to turning the corners, ask the guys sailing the similar sized J88....
I'm worried about it's performance on IRC, as it's been proved time after time that unless a boat performs under IRC it will never get a class in the UK... To that extent, and also the way that they talk about light winds performance, it's slightly surprising that they have the bulb keel, and not a slab keel.

flaming

Visit site
Looks special.

Ah, that's actually when the wave piercing bow comes into its own... As you stuff the bow in with a conventional bow the resistance goes up exponentially the further in it goes... With a wave piercing bow it is much less, and the buoyancy also increases the more it goes in. Plus the shape of the top of the bow is not providing resistance to surfacing in the way a flat bow does. So you're actually less likely to go down the mine, and even less likely to stay there!

flaming

Visit site

lw395

Visit site
That is a lot... Especially when a JPK1030 is 113250 + vat.
http://www.jpk.fr/modules/kameleon/upload/2019_-_descriptif_JPK_10.30_-_HD_-_GB.pdf

The Dehler looks cool, but surely it has to be significantly cheaper than the latest offering from the kings of shorthanded racing that's about a metre longer...

Who's going to buy the Dehler over the JPK in that case?

Probably not someone who cares about the difference between 144,500 euro and £113250 plus VAT.

These are pretty pure racing boats and what will matter is the value of the racing you will get.

Will they ever deliver OD racing?
Or is it a high price ticket to whining about yardsticks?

It's like an RS400. Great to race against other RS400s, particularly w/l. On handicap, it a bit of a blast but not actually great racing in a mixed fleet.
Even when you've got fairly similar boats, smaller differences in performance, like planing in a knot less wind, are exaggerated in some races and it's asking a lot of the handicap system for people to take the results seriously.

I'd love one just for hooning all the way to France with the kite up though....

flaming

Visit site
Probably not someone who cares about the difference between 144,500 euro and £113250 plus VAT.

For quite a bit more boat to be fair...

These are pretty pure racing boats and what will matter is the value of the racing you will get.

Will they ever deliver OD racing?
Or is it a high price ticket to whining about yardsticks?

It will probably get some OD, most likely in the Baltic and possibly Holland. Outside of that, the market is for doublehanded offshore racing, of which the pinnacle is the Fastnet and the Transquarda. Which are IRC events. I think it would be a rare person that would spend more on the Dehler than the JPK if their aim is those events.
Of course, what this boat really is, or should be, is a pitch to be the Olympic boat.

It's like an RS400. Great to race against other RS400s, particularly w/l. On handicap, it a bit of a blast but not actually great racing in a mixed fleet.
Even when you've got fairly similar boats, smaller differences in performance, like planing in a knot less wind, are exaggerated in some races and it's asking a lot of the handicap system for people to take the results seriously.

I'd love one just for hooning all the way to France with the kite up though....

The issue is that OD in larger boats has really dwindled away. Which is a shame, but the reality is that IRC is the way we go racing in yachts, at least in the UK. Even the 109s are now basically down to OD starts at Cowes, the VAC and the J-Cup only.

I really like the look of the Dehler, it's the price point that I'm surprised about...

lw395

Visit site

The issue is that OD in larger boats has really dwindled away. Which is a shame, but the reality is that IRC is the way we go racing in yachts, at least in the UK. Even the 109s are now basically down to OD starts at Cowes, the VAC and the J-Cup only.

I really like the look of the Dehler, it's the price point that I'm surprised about...
IRC seems to work fine for the larger boats, I'm not so convinced by it when we're looking at 'sportsboat with loo and cooker'.

Fastnet is going have some varied conditions and will even out the advantages that certain boats might have in certain conditions.
But that's one event in the the year, for most people, the boat needs to deliver good racing every weekend or it's not worth it.

flaming

Visit site
IRC seems to work fine for the larger boats, I'm not so convinced by it when we're looking at 'sportsboat with loo and cooker'.

Historically I think that's fair, but there's a growing feeling that quick boats are becoming a little bit more fairly treated in the smaller sizes.

Fastnet is going have some varied conditions and will even out the advantages that certain boats might have in certain conditions.
But that's one event in the the year, for most people, the boat needs to deliver good racing every weekend or it's not worth it.

Well, offshore as much as just the fastnet. Think it's probably fair to say that it seems unlikely that boats such as this will be the boat of choice for inshore racing.. See past rants about IRC not differing between inshore and offshore, with a result that offshore boats don't sail inshore and vice versa...

bbg

Visit site
That is a lot... Especially when a JPK1030 is 113250 + vat.
http://www.jpk.fr/modules/kameleon/upload/2019_-_descriptif_JPK_10.30_-_HD_-_GB.pdf

The Dehler looks cool, but surely it has to be significantly cheaper than the latest offering from the kings of shorthanded racing that's about a metre longer...

Who's going to buy the Dehler over the JPK in that case?

I guess what you would be paying for is 800 kg less weight. The JPK 10.30 is 4 cm longer but 800 kg heavier.

Obviously it depends where that weight is, and what that SA/Disp ratio is, but the Dehler has the potential to be a lot quicker off the wind, by the looks of things.

Having said that, the JPK looks like much better value.

I have a buddy that I do some double-handed racing with, and he was quite excited about the Dehler when the design first came out. But I'd be happy if he buys either one of them ...
:D