Degreasing Teak - What Works?

tyger

Visit site
Every text I have read on working teak stresses that to get a good bond the mating surfaces must be degreased before glueing up.

None of these texts (even those which are aimed at novices) give any guidence as to how to degrease teak. The only exception was a book, long out of print, which recommended carbon-tetra-chloride. These days I don't believe CTC is an option. Suggestions round the YC bar have range from varnish thinners (type unspecified) to oxalic acid but no-one was speaking from experience.

Has anyone any experience of what works or or fails?

G

Oxalic acid is about as good as it gets. Stay away from CTC. Highly carcinogenic....not to mention downright bad for the body in general. Highly poisonous and not to be handled casually. I hate to think of the number of times we used CTC to clean guns to re-blue them. Kind of surprised I'm still alive given some of the chemicals I've handled in the past.

steffen

Visit site
hi Tyger,
I always use aceton to degrease before glueing. Sofar never had a joint come loose.
In absence of aceton white spirit also work well

Happy glueing

G

tyger.....yes, you will need to neutralize the acid before bonding the teak. Otherwise there may be a reaction between the teak and the adhesives.