Defending stem of boat from new generation pointy anchor

Roger_D

Visit site
Having just replaced the CQR with a new generation super anchor, the problem of how to launch/retrieve it over the existing bow roller without putting holes in the gel coat arises. (the pointy bit is lower). The anchor would store in the anchor well during passages.

The boat's stem slopes at some 35 degrees from the vertical. One way would be to have a new higher/extending bow roller built. However I am considering a cheaper option that would involve temporarily tying a "crash mat" from the toe rails, which would wrap around the stem in the area that will be struck by the anchor when launching/retrieving.

The problem is what to make the crash mat from. An early idea would be from a heavy duty door mat,(with the bristly side inwards), but I haven't seen a suitable one yet(have only tried B&Q thus far). It clearly would have to be cut to fit.

Has anyone tried this, or have any ideas in this regard? (ie temporarily protecting the stem). Suggestions welcome. Ta.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
A bow fender would look better than a welcome mat, but mats are cheap, bow fenders aren't.

840498.jpg

£100 bar fivepence, from Force4

status

Visit site
I have been struggling with the same conundrum.

The Fulmar has a combined forestay attachment/bow roller fitting so modification is a real headache (mast down, big bolt removal etc.).

I experimented with a rocking mechanism fitted using the bolt for the roller but found that as the pivot point is still in the same place I still had the same issue.

I have made a larger roller for the bow roller fitting and this has moved the point of the anchor forward an inch. Better but still not good enough for the gelcoat.

Have come to the conclusion I am going to fit a stainless bash plate where the point touches, this has a two fold advantage. It covers up the current dints in the gelcoat and should minimise further damage.

Stuart

Edit: it would appear I am not the first to consider this solution!! http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312390

Last edited:

srm

Visit site
Have seen stainless plates around the bow on a number of boats. Make sure it extends far enough to allow for anchor swinging as it clears the water, and don't let the anchor hang on a few links of chain from the roller when approaching the anchorage (as many people seem to for some strange reason).
Have also seen some production boats with straight stems and an extended bow roller that places the roller some 30cm or so from the stem.
If you take anchoring seriously its worth modifying the bow or roller so you can use your new hardware.
My solution is probably too radical - a platform bowsprit that gives a cutter rig (boat designed as a stemhead sloop) and carries two big anchors well clear of the hull.

uxb

Visit site
DIY Extension. Shown before but pertinent.
bowroller.jpg

That's the kind of thing I'm after - only attached by a pivot so that it hangs down under the anchor chain and pivots up with the anchor stock - keeping the point of the anchor clear of the bow. Another job for the winter...

ctva

Visit site
I faced the same problem on our SO34.2 which I solved using a couple of small bits of 12mm ply with a flexable joint that is held on just like the bow fender. Takes 2 mins to attach. I'll see if I have a pic when I get home tonight.

Roger_D

Visit site
Thanks all for your replies. Plan A will be to try to fabricate some sort of temporary protection.....I'll post a photo if I am successful...plan B to try to extend the roller a la the replies above.....

Roger

photodog

Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthor
Visit site
I have gone the steel route...

9a0052e2.jpg

There was a small bash guard when i got her.... And then i added the bigger one.

The only problem is that the tip inevitably finds the gap between the two...

So, its not perfect... But if i ever have to ram a u-boat i am well sorted.