Deepest lock in UK?

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
As its so boringly quiet around here I thought I would look for something interesting to prattle on about .....you never know, might be the beginning of a new challenge for Oldgit :D

When we talk about the differences between the Thames and the canals mention is often made of how big the Thames locks are.
Well, we ain't got anything nearly as deep as the 6 metre fall Tuel Lane Lock on the Rochdale Canal ..........

800px-Inside_Tuel_Lane_Lock.jpg

And when it comes to having a hard day the Caen Hill flight of 16 locks on the Kennet and Avon plus 13 others within a couple of miles add up to two thirds of all the locks on the non tidal Thames!

789px-Caen.hill.locks.in.devizes.arp.jpg

Mind you, if you want a REALLY deep lock then the Carrapatelo on the River Douro in Portugal takes a bit of beating with a 35 metre drop - been there and done that !

http://youtu.be/N4aFvfs36wY

Last edited:

No Regrets

Visit site
Not at the bottom of Caen locks, you'll have a sweat on by the first five or six...:eek:

Scary in real life, really impressive!

Elessar

Visit site
As its so boringly quiet around here I thought I would look for something interesting to prattle on about .....you never know, might be the beginning of a new challenge for Oldgit :D

When we talk about the differences between the Thames and the canals mention is often made of how big the Thames locks are.
Well, we ain't got anything nearly as deep as the 6 metre fall Tuel Lane Lock on the Rochdale Canal ..........

And when it comes to having a hard day the Caen Hill flight of 16 locks on the Kennet and Avon plus 13 others within a couple of miles add up to two thirds of all the locks on the non tidal Thames!

Mind you, if you want a REALLY deep lock then the Carrapatelo on the River Douro in Portugal takes a bit of beating with a 35 metre drop - been there and done that !

16 m high gates in cardiff.........

not my pic - I have proper old photos of penarth lock which is nearly as deep http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_salter/390988765/in/set-72157605142016856/lightbox/

Last edited:

dash300

Visit site
Although I didn't say so specifically, I was referring to locks on inland waterways. But, hey, whatever floats your boat ! :D

Oh dear , aren't these new forum smilies pathetic ! :p;);):D:eek::):):(:confused::mad::rolleyes::cool::eek:

Aren't they just. Our previous ones were better but certainly way behind what other fora have to offer. Still waiting to see the advantages. Now which smiley - this one:confused:

TrueBlue

Visit site
There is a "slight" learning curve - as with most anything nowadays.
Some of the "features" are tuneable (?) by the administrators, so don't give up all hope.
Nobody, but nobody tests things thoroughly - it's up to the users to gripe.

OK - the skip to first unread post, is less convenient than in the last version.....

FistralG

Visit site
Can't recall the name but there is a deeper one in Ireland.

From Wikipedia

The rise is the change in water-level in the lock. The two deepest locks on the English canal system are Bath deep lock[7][8] on the Kennet and Avon Canal and Tuel Lane Lock on the Rochdale Canal, which both have a rise of nearly 20 feet (6.1*m). Both locks are amalgamations of two separate locks, which were combined when the canals were restored to accommodate changes in road crossings. The deepest "as-built" locks in England are considered to be Etruria Top Lock on the Trent and Mersey Canal and Somerton Deep Lock on the Oxford Canal: both have a rise of about 14*ft (4.3*m). Again, sources vary as to which is the deepest, and in any case Etruria has been deepened over the years to accommodate subsidence. A more typical rise (in England) would be 7–12 feet (2.1–3.7 metres) (though even shallower ones can be encountered). By comparison, the two Ardnacrusha locks near Limerick on the Shannon navigation in Ireland have a rise of 100 feet (30*m). The upper chamber rises 60 feet (18*m) and is connected to the lower chamber by a tunnel, which when descending does not become visible until the chamber is nearly empty.[9] It has the 2nd highest rise of any lock in Europe.

ianc1200

Visit site
Off topic, but related, how many locks can you do in a day? TNC who posted above, has tried for 100 in the past but failed (about 87 achieved due to water level problems and vandalism), but going to attempt again soon.