Deck fixing

gtmoore

Visit site
I've been following the recent threads on removable inner forestays as I need to fit one myself to enable the use of a storm jib. I'm a bit new to all this and my problem is sourcing a suitable deck fixing. I thought of a nice U on a sizeable SS plate that I could bolt into my anchor well with a plywood pad underneath. I could then attach a forestay with a rigging screw for adjustment. Problem is in the catalogues I can only find U's on rather weedy looking bases - does something I want exist or will these other offerings work with just a large ply backing pad?

Thanks

Strathglass

Visit site
Be very careful if you are intending to just use the deck to support an inner forestay. Look at the strength of the fittings for your forestay and your shrouds. Not so much the fittings themselves but how are the loads distributed to your hull?.
U bolts are available from various sources including Gael Force if you happen to be in the far north.
Iain

ccscott49

Visit site
I agree with Ian, but if its suitable, a "U" bolt through a stainless plate on both sides, ie sandwiching the deck pre bolted should be ok, but if the deck is cored, the deck needs reinforcing inside, before through bolting takes place. I hope this makes sense, I'm not very good at describing things, you cant see my hands!

stretch33

Visit site
Did you get the 29, if your post relates to that boat then the ideal place to fix it is with a strong U bolt as suggested, but tied into the anchor locker bulkhead which you'll find is glassed to the hull and deck. This helps in spreading the load rather than relying on the deck itself. Hope its going well !

gtmoore

Visit site
Thanks - I had intended to drill then ream out the core and use epoxy resin to create an uncompressible layer to drill through (there was an article in the March issue of Sailing Today about fitting a cleat to a deck which I was going to follow). Would this be suitable? Would not the existing forestay that has the furling genoa be sharing the forces from the mast? I'm wondering if this job might be a bit beyond me!

gtmoore

Visit site
Hi there! Yes - I got the Moody 29 thanks! The mast needs to come down soon so I thought now was the time to do the job (my instructor is insisting I need a storm jib hence the query). When you say the anchor locker bulkhead, do you mean the near vertical section that joins the anchor well to the deck - this would carry on inside the boat in the forward cabin (the one with the hinged panel in it for getting to the chain)?

ccscott49

Visit site
You have exactly the right idea. The outer forestay will still support the mast, the strain on the inner, will be from the forces of the sail. The comment from the chap about the bulkhead is a very good one, I dont know your boat, but if you can spread the loads through as many members as possible, its always a good idea A 90 degree bent plate linking the u bolt and deck to the bulkhead and through bolted would be ideal, spreading the loads. I tend to over engineer everything I do concerning these types of things, heavy, but I've never had anything break, yet!!!!!!

Strathglass

Visit site
Fine, Gavin the forum is pointing you in the right direction.
A possible way to solve your problem is as follows.
Make a flat stainless strap say 8mm x 20mm x 250 with four 8mm holes one centred 10mm from one end and the others spread evenly along the strap and a 1mm plate about 40mm x 80 mm with a countersunk 5mm hole near each corner with a 8mm x 20 mm slot in the middle. Slide the plate into the strap to about 30mm below the first 8mm hole and weld it on there. You now have your inner forestay fitting.
Carefully drill a slot in the deck level with the aft face of your anchorwell bulkhead. Slip your fitting in and drill through the anchorwell bulkhead for the three fitting bolts. You will also require a backing plate on the fwd face of your bulkhead. If you have a balsa or other cored material in your deck this most be scraped out around the slot and replaced with an epoxy mix to seal your core. This fill should extend beyond the area of the deck plate. The strength comes from the bolts through the bulkhead, the plate does not substantially increase the strength, it is more for weatherproofing and to limit stress cracking on the deck. When finally fitting the assembly use plenty of mastic.
This is one way of adding an inner forestay fitting there are many other methods of doing the same task. PM me if you have any questions.
Iain

gtmoore

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their help - I've been down to the boat this weekend to have a good look and have things much clearer in my mind now. I have also found someone in the yard who will weld stainless steel as per your idea iain.

Just as an extra thought, does anyone have any views/experience with the sleeved storm jibs that slide over the furled genoa as available from Cruising Home and Compass as an alternative to drilling holes in my precious deck?

Thanks