Decent Restaurant in Cowes

jac

Visit site
Appreciate this should be in the pubs and restaurant section but can't move for tumbleweed in there!!

So.

Any recommendations for a suitable eatery in Cowes, mid week in a couple of weeks. Group of 6 adults, no kids. Would normally do pubs etc and not been to Cowes this year so little to go on. As i'm going with a group from work I want somewhere slightly nicer

No strong preferences for type of food but not too far from a marina as we're planning on getting to Cowes late afternoon, couple of drinks and a meal then back to Hamble before the pubs close.

Seajet

Visit site
The Indian place just along from Beken's in the joggle in the upper high street ( don't remember the name ) was always good but haven't been there for a while.

Ditto the Union pub halfway along the high street; in new hands now, I hope they haven't removed the old warship photo's which gave the place some atmosphere.

josephmoore

www.josephmoore.co.uk
On recommendation from my fiancee who works in Cowes:

- Baan Thai on Bath Road
- Cowes Tandoori on the High St
- The new tapas restaurant which is next to Shepards Wharf (can't remember the name of it)

For fancy drinks try The Coast on Shooters Hill who also do food but she's never actually eaten there, only sampled the cocktails.

Iain C

Visit site
Get the snug booked in the union, very secluded from the rest of the pub but a great atmosphere.

Alternatively, if you like fish and seafood I thoroughly recommend Murrays. Can be a bit £££ but you can also eat very sensibly there too.

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I can recommend Coast. I had an evening there at Easter and the food and service are both good. There's a new restaurant in Shepard's Wharf called Amabi, which serves Basque style food. I've had a coffee there and the menu looks good. Have a look at their website.

henryf

www.911virgin.com
Clearly lots of different opinions !

Mojaks - very talented chef with a good palate. Menu changes around some regular dishes. Service is attentive, restaurant slightly underwhelming but it has never detracted from the pleasure of eating in there. It just delayed trying the place in the first instance.

Murrays - an institution. To qualify for a yachtmasters ticket you need 2500 miles under your belt and a couple of receipts from Murrays :) expensive ? Hardly they do set menus which are very reasonable and have recently had a bit of a shake up, some sharing plates now.

Red Duster - we've had excellent food in there. Like Mojaks a husband and wife team. You won't leave hungry !

Number 3 - a small intimate restaurant. Yet another husband and wife team. Limited menu but well put together and there will be something you like. Once again a talented chef.

Coast - have recently expanded into the shop next door. Good food. Other than a 2 hour group breakfast the other day haven't eaten in there recently (because their previous lack of tables meant we could never get in).

Tonios - another Cowes institution, one of the original restaurants. Decent enough Italian grub. Had to send a steak back last time I was there but the replacement was excellent and they handled the situation with good grace.

Hope that is of use.

Henry :)

Edited to say from your requirements I would try the places in the order presented.
H.

Last edited: