Dear PBO ...

JumbleDuck

Visit site
May I respectfully suggest that when appointing "experts" to advise your readers, you look for metallurgists who know the difference between low and high cycle fatigue and for electricians who know the difference between blocking (series) and bypass (parallel) diodes? Grr.

pvb

Visit site
May I respectfully suggest that when appointing "experts" to advise your readers, you look for metallurgists who know the difference between low and high cycle fatigue and for electricians who know the difference between blocking (series) and bypass (parallel) diodes? Grr.

You're assuming that those who appoint the experts know which way is up...

A1Sailor

Visit site
May I respectfully suggest that you contact the Editor? He may not spend much time here and won't see your post.
Rob Melotti - Editor
Rob_Melotti_editor_PBO_web-150x200.jpg
Born and raised in a sailing family in Bermuda, Rob learned to sail at the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club and Spanish Point Boat Club, finishing 3rd in the Bermuda Junior Nationals in 1989.
A former dinghy instructor at Southampton Water Activities Centre, Rob switched to marine publishing in 2004, becoming sub-editor at PBO, rising through the ranks to take over the news and feature editing role from 2007-2010. He is a regular evening and weekend yacht racer in the Solent as well as a keen windsurfer with plans to buy a small yacht for some South Coast exploring with his family.
Contact PBO editorial
By email: pbo@ti-media.com
By post: PBO, TI-Media, Pinehurst 2, Pinehurst Rd, Farnborough, GU14 7BF
By phone: +44 (0) 1252 555213.
Meet the PBO team
Merry Christmas.?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
The 'work hardening' statement annoys me. In this context 'work' means plastic deformation. Stays and shrouds never see this much deflection. It has no place in fatigue anyway, other than on a micro scale at the crack tip.
But the point of the toggle is not to guard against the minor deflections of the forestay at rest but the much larger ones that occur during sailing due to the jib.